Wheel Bearings - Mixing Mobil 1 w/OEM Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
1995 BMW E36 M3

In the Middle of doing replacing my Front Wheel Bearings (146K on the originals - on this car the Front's come with a new Hub also)

Not paying close attention, I momentarily stuck the new Hub/Bearing (OEM) on backwards (just by hand, so no force), quickly realized it and pulled it off. The inner race (outside inner since it was backwards) stuck until I pulled it off. In the process, some of the factory grease came off on my glove. Not much, but some... (it's a clearish looking grease) I was thinking it might be a good idea to put some more back in there before I mount it permantly. So I picked up some Mobil 1 Synthetic Bearing Grease at Autozone....

My question, do you think it's ok to mix the Greases? I really don't want to take the Bearing all apart and clean up all the old stuff if possible....I'd rather just spread some of the colorful M1 stuff in there....

I know the Syth Oils mix fine with Dino stuff, I assume there would be no bad things by mixing the greases? (for all we know the stock grease is a Synth)

Thoughts?

Thanks!!

I don't get it...you should put all new grease in there anyway...well OK it's factory grease on the new bearing....but I always put new grease in new bearings.

I wouldn't mix greases and if you are short grease....just clean them and liberally regrease them.

Last edited:
You probably did not remove enough grease to hurt anything. It's not the fact that their both synthetic but that they probably use a different thickener. This is the reason it's not a good idea to mix grease. If they both used the same kind of thickener, then it would be alright to mix them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back