what to use for a conical paper filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced my K&N knock-off with an STP paper, cylindrical air filter specced for '91 (I think) Prelude. The filter doesn't have a rubber fitting to attach to the pipe, but the Autozone I bought it at carried an adapter that let the new filter attach to the intake pipe. When I get home later today, I'll post the post the product number. It may not work for your applications, but it might help somebody else...

I've been lurking around the forum here, and after taking in quite a bit of info, I am now officially a registered member.

I have a few high-performance vehicles that require the use of a conical air filter, and I am currently using a K&N unit. I would like to move away from that setup and use a paper filter, but cannot find anything that seems to work. Any suggestions?

I ripped the factory airbox out of my 97 Monte Carlo Z34 and replaced it with an STP cylindrical dry filter with a little neck built onto it, cost me $11 at Auto Zone. Just had to take a Dremel tool to the inside of the neck to make it fit and it seemed to work great.

Okay, part number for the STP paper cylindrical filter is SA6543. If anyone would like, I can take a picture of it just to give an idea of its dimensions.

Here's a couple of pics of the Prelude filter on my Accord. It works quite well, silicon on my last UOA was quite low.

-

-

Palut, very nice setup. I wish I could find something like this for my wifes 00 4cyl Mazda.

Thanks for posting it.

You have a rough idea of the pipe diameter?
My current intake setup needs a 3.5" and yes it needs that. This looks small but maybe I could use two????

quote:

Originally posted by DJ:
You have a rough idea of the pipe diameter?

This filter's inlet is 3 inches in diameter. The rubber connector in the picture would connect two ends where one is 2.5 inches and one is 3 inches. I bet you could find one that would go from 3 to 3.5 inches...
dunno.gif

The honda s2000 uses about a 3" ID inlet if I remember right, you can get any paper brand.

I use filter for a Chevy 98 pickup, it's about a 3.5-3.75 ID inlet and plenty big for almost any engine, about 10" long.

-

After some reading and searching I ordered a AEM Dry filter from the links provided above ( thanks man)....will replace my oiled KN with this dry filter on the Dodge R/T and see how she goes.....
I see all of the KN threads have been locked...that's too bad.....I do want to add my reasoning anyway to this entire Cold Air Intake/Oiled filter discussion if I may....most of the KN users were after moving of the air intake to a cooler location away from the engine heat originally....most Cold Air Intake kits came/come with KN Oil Filters....so for many the KN came with the "solution"....now if I can get the better filtration and no oiling advantages of paper or dry filter solution and the cooler air by moving my intake location...touchdown me....I think some of these KN filter "dicussions" miss the main point of intake relocation and the filter itself is secondary....nice to see an alternative that fits the CAI kits out there....

[ March 20, 2006, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: sgtgeek ]

Thats a beutiful set up my BITOG friend. The paper color is pretty too
smile.gif

I am considering a Turbo Kit ... but after reading the board I do not want the included K&N filter. No doubts on K&N's flow, but I want quality not quantity
smile.gif
Turbo will produce enough air just fine. *lol*

Chances are this post will help me find a paper conical to substitute the K&N with
smile.gif
Thanks-

Paper cones are a great way to test whether you want to spent the $100-200 for Cold Air Intakes in your car. You can hook up some of those pictured above for $9-15 bucks with hardware store diy and see if you like it or get any benefit. Most of the benefit seems to be a noisiey intake which is probably only a subjective benefit for some.

But trying to outdo your OEM intake with more air flow and or colder air with the same or better level of dust filtration gives you an appreciation of what the factory engineer already did right.

The AEM Dry Flows seem to do a Spectacular Job. Ive got one on my truck right now but theirs still some clearance issues Ive got to work around with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back