What to charge for maintenance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're good to go then.

FWIW when I did side jobs I figured if I couldn't get 1.5x my hourly wage it wasn't worth it. You are working overtime.

Good luck, hope it's a good business relationship for both of you.

I use to do brake jobs on friends parents cars when I was a teenager. I charged them half of what a shop would charge. Don't charge by the hour, you are not as fast as a professional.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

Exactly, unless Farmer is going to get something in writing about the friend dismissing all potential liability issues I would steer clear of getting involved with that mess.

The Catch-22 is once you have something in writing you're acknowledging you've done the work. "Friend" can then bust you for not paying taxes, or the state might not allow a professional to disclaim all liability anyway. (A doctor for example can't make the patient sign something saying he'll do the work as-is, and mechanics might also count as professionals.)

He is really a FRIEND so don't thrust a document to sign in front of him. Just say you are uncomfortable if he doesn't like your work. If you proceed, then do one vehicle and wait a couple of weeks to see how he responds before moving to the next. Charge by the job and not the hours by getting a feel for what regular garages charge. If unsure of pricing then call an independent garage and ask. If possible ask him to help you? Ed

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

Exactly, unless Farmer is going to get something in writing about the friend dismissing all potential liability issues I would steer clear of getting involved with that mess.

The Catch-22 is once you have something in writing you're acknowledging you've done the work. "Friend" can then bust you for not paying taxes, or the state might not allow a professional to disclaim all liability anyway. (A doctor for example can't make the patient sign something saying he'll do the work as-is, and mechanics might also count as professionals.)

These 2 posts sum the Whole Thing up.

Ask him what he expects to pay and decide to go from there.

If it's a real friend I would either do free+he buys parts or not at all.

Parts plus a case of your favorite beer per vehicle.
cheers3.gif

Either do it as a favor to friends and family and making sure they are actively helping your or set up an LLC, check with your home owners association and town and insurance carrier before billing your clients.

There is really no in between unless you want to get burn very badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back