What is the best way to learn Visual Basic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any book/website recommendations? Thanks!

How much will learning VB help with Excel?

Traditionally, the easiest way to learn VB has been to load the IDE and press F1. Decide on a simple app you would like to write for practice, then go from there. The help files are really that good.

Last edited:
Microsoft ussualy gives out their "express" / IDE for free for basic programing.

Programing is just matter of having sets of labs to do that increase difficulty. You read and google stuff until you grasp it and move on to next idea to learn. In my college education that has been how I learned, not neccesary a whole alot from siting in lecture.

VB with Excel is Visual Basic for Applications, more commonly called "VBA".

John Walkenbach is by far and away the most well known Excel author. His "VBA for dummies" book is a good starting point in learning the programming end. All of his books are well-written and easy to read. His website is www.spreadsheetpage.com and it offers lots of good Excel and VBA tips. cPearson.com is another good Excel site with numerous programming examples.

My recommendation is to learn Excel very well before learning the VBA programming. I've seen too many "programmers" attempt to write elaborate code to do something that Excel has built in. This is usually because they are not aware of the functionality of the product.

Let me know if you need any help scripting VBA code. I have been writing it full time for the past 19 years.

My suggestion to learn it is use the Macro to do some steps. And then edit the Macro itself to find the VBA code behind it to help you possibly understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back