What home shop compressor to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to spend $750 to $1,000. Looked at Ingersal Rand and they have an $850 and a $1,000 model that are both 5hp (from TSC). Medium reviews on line for both.

Looked at Kobalts at Lowes but the reviews are very bad in general. Several people calling them "junk".

Any recomendations on which comperssor to buy and where to buy it?

Thanks!

Ingersoll Rand is very good. There equipment is very heavy duty. How many gallons is the tank and what's the HP of the motor? Also what is the SCFM rate since if you are using heavy duty air guns or plasma cutters etc, you'll need to ensure your tank can power them without continually running.

Regards, JC.

I've had an Ingersol-Rand SSL5 compressor for about four years now.
It's been great! I have run it hard (continuously for hours) on multiple occasions.

http://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-5-Horsepower-230-Volt-60-Gallon-Compressor/dp/B001NGP8JI

If I remember right it produces about 18CFM @ 90 PSI, 100% continuous duty. This is plenty of air for any shop tool/HVLP paint gun you are likely to use. Obviously, if you are looking to run an auto-body shop or something with multiple workers you will need a bigger compressor.

The drain valve that comes installed is a pain to get to. I would plan on getting some pipe and a ball valve to extend it to the edge of the compressor instead of having to reach underneath. I changed mine before bolting it to the floor.

You will need a 50-60 amp 220 circuit. The motor is only rated at 30 amps, but the startup load is much greater than that. If you run too small of a circuit, you will decrease the life of the motor significantly.

Hope that helps with your decision.

They are 3.5 to 5 hp and seem to have about 15 cfm @90 psi.

The tanks are 60 to 80 gallons.

Thanks.

Also, any add ons to keep the units running cooler??

IR compressors have a very good parts availability.Quincy compressors used to be a good brand too.Dont know who sells them now.

In the market myself. Insights & recommendations are appreciated by me as well.

I have the ss5l, its over a year old now but at about ten months it blew a head gasket. I had to take the pump off, take it to Ingersoll rand. They are not far from my house. they replaced the valves, the gasket and the bolts. they claimed they flushed the oil but I ended up changing the oil about 8 times to get all the graphite out.

they told me to keep the bolts torqued to 24 pounds and it wont happen again. I just use it at my house. Ingersoll was ok about the warranty. I had to fax a receipt. they tried ordering a whole new pump but it was backordered. I could have got them to come and do it there but I didnt force it.

I was suprised i had any problems but I know every company has a few duds. I have not read any other complaints on this happening but they told me at the shop I took it to that there is not enouigh gasket between the two cylinder. the bolts get hot and stretch and after time it just blows the gasket. About once a month I check the bolts but it doesnt seem like they are moving.

Other than that I like the compressor.

Last edited:
Id go IR for that money. Ive had good luck with Thomas if specialty oil free is necessary.

callbay,

No need for additional add-ons to keep the compressor cool. They are rated at 100% duty when synthetic oil is used. This means that theoretically it could run non-stop under normal conditions without overheating. I have run mine for a few hours straight in 90 degree weather.

I make my living with air tools being a home builder. Be sure to buy a pump that oiled,not oil-less. Mine run 10 hours a day,gas powered so it's always pumping air. Capacity is going to be a big deal if running any impact tools or sanders. Capacity is easily achieved with extra tanks and plumb nipples around the garage for easy hook ups.

Sub 1K units will most probably be 135 psi single stage units, not that the single stage units are junk but they will run out of wind quickly when you use something like a DA sander.
For about $1300-1400 inc shipping you can get a nice 2 stage 60 gallon 175 psi Quincy. These have high CFM and quick recovery.
Champion is one of the very top shelf units but almost double the price, the Quincy is a much better value in most home/small commercial use.

IR are very good commercial units but Quincy has the edge with these smaller ones.

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/tools/5-horsepower-2-stage-air-compressors.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back