what fuel stabilizer to use???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sta-Bil is the original and since it's often on sale and redily available, why try anything else?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Sta-Bil is the original and since it's often on sale and redily available, why try anything else?
21.gif

You could be right about Stabil. On the other hand, I think inquiring about other stabilizers is a good idea because there could be something even better or safer out there. I'm not sure if that's the case, but I suppose it's possible.

I just used the links that Loobed left and read on the Pri-G website that it restores old fuel that may have been sitting for too long in a vehicle or at a gas pump. Maybe that's hype or maybe not, but I know Stabil doesn't do that. The Pri-G website also shows that 16oz treats 256 gallons of gas and it's $21.99 a bottle, so I think savings can be compared favorably with that kind of mix ratio.

I sound like a commercial for Pri-G now, but I really don't know if it's better. But I'm going to do some more reading on it and other products and try to find out. Now the truth behind it all is another matter.

Mike

Last edited:
I have used Pri-G before in my outboard motors and motorcycles. I have never had a problem with the fuel gumming up or going bad.

I think sta-bil lasts about 6 months to a year.

I haven't tried Amsoil and I dont think sea-foam would work as good as other stabilizers because it's a cleaner

I've used Stabil for many years with zero problems. For example, my 1987 Toro CCR2000 snowblower started in 1 pull after sitting 8 months without being started.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

So if I only use a half bottle of Stabil in one year, I need to throw it out and replace it with a fresh bottle?

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: Loobed

So if I only use a half bottle of Stabil in one year, I need to throw it out and replace it with a fresh bottle?

NO, shelf life is 2 years

Quote:

from sta-bil website:

What is the shelf life of STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer?

2 years after the bottle has been opened, provided it has been tightly capped and stored in a cool, dry place.

I meant the fuel needs to be re-treated, or thats what it use to say on the bottle about 10+ years ago.

But the website says something different, they must have changed the formulation from 10+ years ago

Quote:
How long will STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer keep fuel fresh?
For 12 months when mixed into fresh gasoline. Doubling the dosage will keep fuel fresh for up to 2 years.

I use Sta-Bil - works great for me. But, I use double the recommended dose. (read the fine print on the bottle - double dosing doubles the storage life)

I like to keep a good quantity of gasoline on-hand in cans for emergencies. In the winter, we can get ice storms and in the summer, you just never know when a transformer or substation will blow up. Either way, we could be out of power for three to four days.

I date the cans when I fill them so I know how old the gas in. Right now I'm using a can with gas that is 14 months old. We had drought conditions most of this summer, so I didn't use as much as I usually do which is why this can got to over a year old. Generally, I keep gas no longer than one year.

However, even with the 14 month old gas, I've experienced zero problems in the lawn mower, weed eater, or my other power equipment.

In the past, I've put year-old gas in my '95 Ranger and noticed no loss of power or fuel economy.

Sta-Bil seems to work well and I recommend it.

thanks much,
ben

"read on the Pri-G website that it restores old fuel that may have been sitting for too long in a vehicle or at a gas pump. Maybe that's hype or maybe not, but I know Stabil doesn't do that."

Once a gasoline auto-oxidizes and such things as hydroperoxides, acids, etc. have formed, not much can be done to reverse the process other than some chemical treatment which an additive cannot do.

Paragraph 4 states "Yes. When thoroughly blended with fuel, PRI-G will restore even the most degraded fuels to a refinery-fresh, usable condition - provided the stored fuel does not contain metals or foreign chemistries not compatible with refined fuel. Although the fuel will be restored to usable specification, PRI-G does not restore the fuel to original color."

Unless organic chemistry had undergone some radical changes in the past decades, oxidation reactions are not reversible. Once it has occurred, the many hydrocarbon structures are changed and now contain some oxygen. Unless this PRI-G is composed on many complexing compounds (like the metal deactivators that can complex soluble copper and other metals) that can tie up oxidation precursors which is highly unlikely, the above is highly suspect.

I've used Sta-Bil for many years. Works fine. I now use FP60 in all my cars and as a fuel stabilizer for my lawn equipment. Excellent product. I highly recommend it.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
I've used Sta-Bil for many years. Works fine. I now use FP60 in all my cars and as a fuel stabilizer for my lawn equipment. Excellent product. I highly recommend it.

Ditto. I use FP3000 (now FP-Plus) now for the same purpose. I really like FP and LC in my vehicles, along with the occasional ARX treatment.

Originally Posted By: mojo
Paragraph 4 states "Yes. When thoroughly blended with fuel, PRI-G will restore even the most degraded fuels to a refinery-fresh, usable condition - provided the stored fuel does not contain metals or foreign chemistries not compatible with refined fuel. Although the fuel will be restored to usable specification, PRI-G does not restore the fuel to original color."

Unless organic chemistry had undergone some radical changes in the past decades, oxidation reactions are not reversible. Once it has occurred, the many hydrocarbon structures are changed and now contain some oxygen. Unless this PRI-G is composed on many complexing compounds (like the metal deactivators that can complex soluble copper and other metals) that can tie up oxidation precursors which is highly unlikely, the above is highly suspect.

Mojo-

I concur with your understanding RE: PRI-G on gasoline restoration part. Oxidation is a 1-way process and unless you impose additional energy with some chemical process to convert it back to what it use to be (hydrocarbon chains, volatile and laden with aromatics), otherwise, I don't see how PRI-G can make already stale, varnish-formed gas back to refinery-fresh state and chemistry (esp. latter being impossible).

I've tried searching hi-n-low for their MSDS sheets and what-not, and came back empty handed. I suspect that while it is possible to stabilise the fuel (similar to that of Sta-bil), it may not be able to restore fuel's composition (outrageous claims that no chemists nor data sheets to back them up).

My 2c's worth. I'm also actively looking for fuel stabilising additives for my Coleman lantern collecting hobby.

Q.

I used to use Stabil in the past. I have since been using Amsoil fuel stabilizer. I just order with other Amsoil stuff.

I have used them on small engines. I have never noticed any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back