Wet conditions racing + throttle sticking = scary

Status
Not open for further replies.
I raced my second XC race today on my '90 Suzuki Quadracer that I just put a new topend on last weekend. About half way through my first lap(laps were 9.7 miles long), my throttle started sticking, thumb throttle, had to push it forward and pull it back, I had zero throttle articulation ability. I articulated ground speed with the clutch, probably burned that baby up. I know I've read on mostly european 2-stroke oil product descriptions that this oil or that oil prevents throttle sticking in wet conditions, but I've never had it happen so I didn't think anything of it. It was raining and about 55 degrees during the race. I run Mobil One Racing 2T mixed at 28:1 in this little racing 250. It's alot of oil, but still doesn't smoke at all and is jetted to a nice warm brown plug color, plenty of power. Back to the throttle sticking, this happen to you guys in the wet conditions? I normally don't ride in the rain so I guess this is new territory for me, but holey cow it was scary in the woods with a sticking throttle. The cable seems fine, and was fine at the beginning of the race. I guess I'll try a different oil in the wet from now on. Any thoughts?

Chris

Originally Posted By: Pablo
You need to find out before you ride again.......I mean if I were you......

Yeah, I'm with you on that one, I aged 10 years in an hour, the stress level was pretty high.

I can only say that it felt like it was the slide on the carb sticking. It is a Keihin PWK38 Airstryker, a 2 stroke racing carb. Pretty simple carb, works great normally, this is the first problem I've had and I'm not ready to pin it on the carb just yet. I haven't looked at the cable and it was muddy and sandy. I don't know if I could tell the difference between a sticky slide and a sticky cable from the riders seat anyway. At some point it the woods while fighting the sticky throttle I remembered reading about certain oils preventing throttle sticking and it occured to me that I have never ridden a 2stroke much in the rain, certainly nothing like I did today.

Thanks,
Chris

I once rode in a thunderstorm and my clutch cable froze up eventually but it took hours for that to happen. Maybe the cold moist air caused an extra bit of gumming in the carb?

I've had a throttle cable stick because it was rubbing on the exhaust. I would double check how it is routed. next I would replace the cable. $25 for a terrycable is cheaper then what happens when it sticks..

lube the cable using a cable luber. flush with wd40 until it comes out clean. dangerous situation. this should be done at each race when the bike is serviced. everything needs to be lubed, tightned, and checked. who wants o blow a race, or even a ride, because of faulty equipment. not i. be safe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back