Weedeaters pushed to the limit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a story about when I worked at a dirt bike track last year. Most of the week consisted of weedeating, in long thick grass that was so heavy, you had to run the weedeaters at full throttle for the entire 8 hour day. Still is just a story of my bad luck with small engines.

My boss never felt the need to put money into the smaller machines, he did however buy 2 new weedeaters when I worked there, but one did not last. The one killed was a 4 stroke YardMan that was so silky smooth when it was new, it was a luxury running (my hands didnt hurt after running all day) however, after a week of hard running, there was a vibration, and a week after the clip on air filter finally fell off and I didn't notice until it was too late. In the dusty environments, the rings didnt hold a chance, and running what ever 10/30 I could get my hands on, while the OEM speced straight 30, especially running in 90 degree+ whether for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, the engine was toast. Fearing to have an ***chewing, (I often did) I changed the oil twice to maybe save the engine, each time after running the engine for a minute between the OCI was oil not much darker than before. The next work day, I discovered heavy oil burning, I found some Lucas oil stabilizer and added 20% of the total volume (maybe 10ml). The oil burning slowed, but the engine finally gave up a day later. I then had another YardMan 2 stroke, which ran on any 2 stroke oil I could find, Citco seeming the best, but I couldnt determine the 40:1 ratio specified, and my best judgement was used to mix the fuel and oil. That weedeater lasted for a month. There was a mettle pinging noise (my guess a piece of bearing or piston skirt) jumping around in the engine. A day lator it died. Then there was cheap weedeaters picked up for $5 at garage sales, one of which stalled on a 101 degree day after a 6 hour run. I went to refuel it, opened the cap, and the fuel boiled over and splashed everywhere. I couldn't determine if the gas was boiling or the 2 stroke oil. But the engine finally died that day.

This story is completely useless, yet pertains to engine oil to an extend, and I draw my conclusions and recommendations.

If you have a 4 stroke weedeater, and run it in hot whether, run something heavy duty, maybe Rotella T, and if you run a 2-stroke, mix it properly.

and finally, if possible. Don't work too hard outside when the heat is bearing down on you
wink.gif

I tryed explaining that to him, but its his machinery, and his company, and he can buy anything he wants to, so I can't beat down on him. But I agree with you, there is home duty, then there is HD

In the end it will cost him more for time lost due to broken machines or ones too small to clear at a good speed . Guys like that won't listen to logic , they're idiots only after the easy $$$ .

I've clear many acres of anything from grass to underbrush in wooded areas with my backpack Stihl trimmer/brush cutter and it's about 10 years old now . Had to replace the flex shaft once (my fault partly I was really working it hard) and I just recently replaced all the fuel lines and the diaphrams in the carb . Still has the original spark plug in it and I have only used Stihl 2 cycle oil mixed to 50:1

Google Stihl FR350 if you want to see what it looks like , you can run these for hours with little fatigue .

Last edited:
Yard Man = Junk anyway, the operating conditions were fine. Wide-open throttle is how you SHOULD run a weed whacker, pedaling it down do make it seem quieter is actually worse for the machine.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Yard Man = Junk anyway, the operating conditions were fine. Wide-open throttle is how you SHOULD run a weed whacker, pedaling it down do make it seem quieter is actually worse for the machine.

Actually running at wide open throttle is not the way to use them , if the machine is big enough you work the throttle almost like using a scythe as you cut .

For that 4 stroke, I think you are supposed to change the oil every 10 hours. Or in your case every day. But I had one of those engines on a TroyBilt weedwacker. It is junk anyway and most likely would not have held up given that abuse. You definitely needed a pro grade Stihl, Echo, Redmax, etc.

That's a nice looking machine. I am thinking about getting one for the property we own and let loose on some of the growth we have on it.

Thanks for sharing
cheers3.gif

Bo

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
In the end it will cost him more for time lost due to broken machines or ones too small to clear at a good speed . Guys like that won't listen to logic , they're idiots only after the easy $$$ .

I've clear many acres of anything from grass to underbrush in wooded areas with my backpack Stihl trimmer/brush cutter and it's about 10 years old now . Had to replace the flex shaft once (my fault partly I was really working it hard) and I just recently replaced all the fuel lines and the diaphrams in the carb . Still has the original spark plug in it and I have only used Stihl 2 cycle oil mixed to 50:1

Google Stihl FR350 if you want to see what it looks like , you can run these for hours with little fatigue .

wished we can get them here

Originally Posted By: csx7006

wished we can get them here

Stihl never promoted those very hard and as far as I know only 2 were sold in Canada . While I worked for stihl Canada 48 of these sat in the warehouse and 2 were used at shows only on display . A few years later Stihl Canada was told to return the remainder to France for sale there and the 2 display units were sold to employees . I got mine for $250 , they retailed at that time for $1250 . I have 3 horses on some acreage so great for cleaning along fence lines and weedy patches in the pasture and I've done some custom work as well so it has seen a lot of use .

Not sure but Echo or Husky may have a backpack unit but Stihl should have promoted these more , they are a common machine for forestry and commercial use in Europe .
The FR350 was it's straight shaft cousin .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back