We just picked up a brand new 2022 Crosstrek Limited. Few Q’s y’all

Ok I dumped the oil and filter at 2,548 mi. I spoke to a good friend of mine who’s been a Porsche technician for the last 2 decades at a very reputable dealership in the Peninsula here in NorCal. He said 1-2k miles is a good time change it out. ...
2.5K isnt bad for a break in oil run. How was the engine noise before and after?
Have you opened it up yet and run it up to redline?

Ours is so dang noisy I need ear protection :)

I would seek out some Roki filters for future use. They are Jewels. What was on the car, correct?

from usautopartsexperts ad:

Roki Subaru.jpg

I’ll do the rav between 1500&2000 I been pulling off redline passing and accelerations more than I like too. It’s not that I want to but living in sc I had to adjust my driving habits to survive. NY - NJ - Massachusetts has nothing on sc drivers. Dead-dumb & lame

I’m trying to do the break-in properly by varying the speeds and going through all the gears. Yesterday I forgot leaving the light I was in manual 1st gear & accidentally revved the motor to 5k rpm 😬 All seems all ok though. I read somewhere I should keep it under 4k during break-in 🤦‍♂️
I redlined my '18 Forester XT, '19 Crosstrek, and 22 Forester before 50 miles. Doesn't hurt a thing. None of them use any all.
I had a '19 Crosstrek for 2 1/2 years. Nice car but to small. Traded it in on a '22 Forester Limited.

2.5K isnt bad for a break in oil run. How was the engine noise before and after?
Have you opened it up yet and run it up to redline?

Ours is so dang noisy I need ear protection :)

I would seek out some Roki filters for future use. They are Jewels. What was on the car, correct?

from usautopartsexperts ad:

View attachment 95981
Pretty much babied it thruout the time while going thru all the gears manually and letting the engine decelerate in the gears. Haven’t took it to redline yet. Seems to sound the same as it was new… Ours came with that black Japanese filter as well, not that blue USA made/disguised orange can of death Fram 😂👍🏼

Ok I dumped the oil and filter at 2,548 mi. I spoke to a good friend of mine who’s been a Porsche technician for the last 2 decades at a very reputable dealership in the Peninsula here in NorCal. He said 1-2k miles is a good time change it out. His current build is an 800HP Audi RS3, previous builds include a 600WHP Turbo 911 and one of my own Mustangs that dynoed 410WHP N/A. I trust him completely… There is for sure gonna be metal particles floating around in the original factory fill/break-in period and I don’t like the thought of that. Even though the Porsche dealership says 10k mi. OCI’s, oil and filters are cheap to buy and the work is easy to do so why not. I feel better now that I did it early. I will continue to do it every 5k mi.

Here’s a video of the first oil change on a 2021 Porsche 992. You can see the metal particles when he opens up the filter. I’ll treat my Subie better than a Porsche! F that 10k OCI crap 😂👍🏼

So, the filter was doing its job…

Porsche has the OCI recommendation they do partially because they hold a lot of oil, roughly double the Subaru.

Nicasio , how's the gas mileage ? Is it display or calculated fuel economy that you mentioned ? Any issues ? Enjoy

Last edited:
Nicasio , how's the gas mileage ? Is it display or calculated fuel economy that you mentioned ? Any issues ? Enjoy
As a data point my wife is getting over 33 ave on the giant 2021 base trim Outback wagon with same 2.5L D.I. engine.
Should be even better in the summer. She does drive a majority percentage interstate at approx 70mph
Surprising it does that well as it sounds like it's falling apart internally.

My 2018 Forester still has the original battery. Maybe I just got lucky?
Considered replacing it before winter, but then retired and took the chance.
Still going strong so far.

My 2018 Forester still has the original battery. Maybe I just got lucky?
Considered replacing it before winter, but then retired and took the chance.
Still going strong so far.
Owned many Subaru's that go through long, cold winters, Never lost a battery.
Last one a 2017 92K miles at trade in. The PZEV variations do run some electric pump when off for over an hour sometimes. I thought it was a EVAP management. Never asked a service writer. At first I though the fuel pump was stuck on.

The few new cars I have had the original oil is changed at 200-500 miles. Then again at about 2 K. Probably shouldn’t wait that long. I was surprised to see the Porsche has glitter in the oil. For the price I thought the engines would be run at the factory and be cleaner. Bright sunlight is the best light to see small reflective particles. The glitter better not be from “bearing sloughing” as stated in the video.
As is seen full flow oil filters are not that good in real world use, or there wouldn’t be glitter in early oil changes. So much for the lab test graphs, charts, 20 versus 23 microns, on and on, and a whole lot of talking.

Owned many Subaru's that go through long, cold winters, Never lost a battery.
Last one a 2017 92K miles at trade in. The PZEV variations do run some electric pump when off for over an hour sometimes. I thought it was a EVAP management. Never asked a service writer. At first I though the fuel pump was stuck on.
That noise is a pump used for testing the EVAP system. it usually happens 5 hours after turning the car off.

When I bought my wife's Outback, I dumped the factory fill oil early. But afterwards, a fellow member on the subaruoutback.org forum posted that he had sent a question re. this to Subaru of America.

He reported that SOA replied that they recommended keeping the factory fill in for the full recommended oil change interval. They further explained that the factory fill has break-in additives, and to change oil early to to lose any benefit of these additives.
So much for second guessing factory recommendations! I mean we're well beyond 1950s metallurgy and straight SC classified 30 wt.

...As is seen full flow oil filters are not that good in real world use, or there wouldn’t be glitter in early oil changes. So much for the lab test graphs, charts, 20 versus 23 microns, on and on, and a whole lot of talking.
if the pickup is higher than 1/4 inch above the pan floor, particle settle out onto the floor of the pan. If they don't get pumped they won't get trapped by the filter. That was one reason why Subaru used to employ large diameter drain plugs - you do a hot change and the oil is flowing vigorously off that narrow pan floor. There is no best substitute to dropping a pan on a motorsports engine after dyno run in and tune session. We don't all have that luxury on a passenger car. I suppose you could use a squirt bottle and squirt some light oil around the floor and see what comes out. Then dump a sacrificial quart into the engine and drain that too - if you want to take it to an extreme.

The porsche is some what surprising at they are typically dry sump with multiple scavenge pumps on the sporting engines

But, The oil may be able to settle out in the remote oil tank. I have never serviced or looked into this system.

We bought our '14 Crosstrek new and since my wife got her new Rav4 last year, I inherited the Subie. It's got 125k and other than eating rear wheel bearings it has been a great car. I sold my Tacoma last year so the Crosstrek now also handles towing and hauling duties. It's practically a dinosaur with port injection and no rear camera, TPMS, or any adaptive driving aids at all and it's a 5-speed manual to boot.

I have it fluid filmed every year and the body is holding up well so far. I'll drive it as long as I can.

1650805503515.jpg

I haven’t actually been checking, but I was gassing up the Vibe more often for sure… Although the Subie does have a larger tank. So far we love this car, especially the wifey! 😁

We bought our '14 Crosstrek new and since my wife got her new Rav4 last year, I inherited the Subie. It's got 125k and other than eating rear wheel bearings it has been a great car. I sold my Tacoma last year so the Crosstrek now also handles towing and hauling duties. It's practically a dinosaur with port injection and no rear camera, TPMS, or any adaptive driving aids at all and it's a 5-speed manual to boot.

I have it fluid filmed every year and the body is holding up well so far. I'll drive it as long as I can.

View attachment 97495

Wow that’s cool! Can even tow with it! 👍🏼

Just think about how many vehicles on the road do not get a first oil change until the normal OCI, and how often you hear about engine failures in modern cars, or even engines that don't make it to 250k because of oil related failures.
I think of how many vehicles never even get an oil change.... I know a few people that think a vehicle is 100% good to go as long as it starts for each use.

I’ll do the rav between 1500&2000 I been pulling off redline passing and accelerations more than I like too. It’s not that I want to but living in sc I had to adjust my driving habits to survive. NY - NJ - Massachusetts has nothing on sc drivers. Dead-dumb & lame
Living in NC all of my life I would sum up northern driving as a bit out there. For years we would periodically travel to Philadelphia, so up in that area the drivers seemed to have two speeds... wide open or stop and rude/arrogant as hell along the way. I will agree that southern driving is a bit more leisurely quite often and even annoys me at times to be stuck behind it, but I wouldn't tolerate what I dealt with up in that area on a daily basis. Not to mention the drastic difference in road surface condition.

Back