Water wetter/ice stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm in napa, and I see this, I think it was royal purple water ice or something like that. I've seen simialar products that claim to hugely increase the heat conductivity of coolant. Anyone have experience with these? Do they work at all?

They work great if you are just using water in your cooling system as opposed to anti-freeze.

These products were originally formulated for track use, where glycol anti-freeze is usually banned as a coolant because of the non-drying slick it leaves when spilled.

It's likely that the primary active component is corrosion inhibitors and something to lubricate the water pump seal, but you aren't promised that. The actual wetting agent is insignificant in both the proportion and cost. It takes less than a drop of wetting agent to treat two gallons of water.

My belief is that this product has changed from being a useful specialty additive, to something that is misleadingly marketed to extract money from the gullible. The traditional anti-freeze+water mixture is the best coolant for a street car. It provides the best protection against destructive overheating.

Sure, when you run when you run a test with the same volume and temperature of water vs antifreeze running through a radiator, the plain water transfer more BTUs because of its higher specific heat. But change it to running the fluids at their *boiling point* and the antifreeze mixture has a huge advantage. And protection is about moving the heat and keeping an insulating steam layer from forming when the engine is really hot, not when it's only 220F.

Finally, the claims for better heat transfer go way beyond the small gain of the specific heat of water. I'm guessing that they are based on the heat transfer of water beading on an oiled surface vs. wetting the same surface. But

- almost all of that effect goes away when the water is under pressure and has non-laminar flow.
- most cooling systems that have been previously run with corrosion inhibitors have hydrophilic, easily wetted surfaces.

Last edited:
Most show that mixed with antifreeze they drop temps by only a couple degrees. Not worth the full price cost but worth a shot at a buck or two.

I remember back in the day, a lot of guys running the old Conquest's that I knew would run water with a mixture of stome stuff called something like 40 Below or something?? I can't remember exactly, but it was for summer use only, not freeze protection, but I remember them claiming great results. As far as adding this other products to 50/50 coolant, I've also wondered myself. Is their any advantage? or even disadvantage? Also, I think I read on a Redline bottle that you need to add it every year?

I have used both and I like them. It may only be an 8 degree drop but I feel my car runs cooler (the coolant gauge does not go as high when I have one of the products in) when I have one of them in as opposed to just coolant/water.

I had an 84 mustang gt pushing about 350 to the wheels. Darn thing always ran a little hot, though. And I had aluminum heads, too, so I didn't want to warp them.

Threw in a bottle of Redline watter wetter and I swear it ran at least 20 degrees cooler. Stuff works, man.

The only stuff not designed specifically for track use is Lubegaurd Kool-It. When used 50/50 wiht anti-freeze it reduces temps 6 degrees F. Its up to you if you think that is worth $10.

With the extra additive it will extend the life of the coolant some and it does not faom in the resevoir tank like Water Wetter.

http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-201/Kool-It+Supreme+Coolant+Treatment

http://www.lubegard.com/pdfs/KOOLIT_comparison_sheet.pdf

I had the exact same results back in the late 90's using WaterWetter in my 89 5.0 Mustang. It lowered the temp about 20 degrees using an Auto Meter Gauge.

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
I had an 84 mustang gt pushing about 350 to the wheels. Darn thing always ran a little hot, though. And I had aluminum heads, too, so I didn't want to warp them.

Threw in a bottle of Redline watter wetter and I swear it ran at least 20 degrees cooler. Stuff works, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back