Water blade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody tried these water blades? Would be using a my 2011 F150 to speed dry time and reduce water spotting after a wash. She's nothing near a show vehicle and has some sore spots and dings, but looks very nice with little swirling yet and I don't want to unduly expedite that process either.

Yes, I use mine all the time. It does speed up the drying time as it gets me to my Micro Fiber Towel drying much faster than all of that wringing out from the heavy water.

To me, the WB doesn't replace conventional drying, it just gets you there sooner. Same as the Duster. It too doesn't replace actual washing, it just keeps the "DUST" to a minimum
smile.gif

I have been using used winter wiper blades for over 20 years. I bought a water blade and didn't like it as well. It is in the shower now. Too much drag and chatters sweeping water off. Winter blade glides much better and I ended up with a couple 22 in. long. Can reach across the topper and hood on my truck from the ground. I use a blade just on the top surfaces and glass. Really speeds up drying time.

Originally Posted By: Traction
I have been using used winter wiper blades for over 20 years. I bought a water blade and didn't like it as well. It is in the shower now. Too much drag and chatters sweeping water off. Winter blade glides much better and I ended up with a couple 22 in. long. Can reach across the topper and hood on my truck from the ground. I use a blade just on the top surfaces and glass. Really speeds up drying time.

That is a great idea! Saves a few bucks and reduces waste. Too bad I just threw away the 5 wiper blades I replaced on my vehicles a few weeks back.

Originally Posted By: Picky1
Two words....LEAF BLOWER! Then all you need is some spot drying with a WW towel.

I`d like to try this technique to dry my engine bay after cleaning/detailing.

All it takes is for a grain of sand or debris to be on the vehicle and you'll end up with some monstrous scratches.

Microfibre is still safer since it will pick up any debris.

I, too, employ my leaf blower regularly to supplement drying. Personally, I would not use a water blade. Any chance to eliminate something contacting the finish I try to take. Even after a proper two-bucket method wash the clean water I use to flush my Absorber as I'm drying often gets cloudy and, on rare occasions, even dirty. I wouldn't want to be scraping that across my finish with a water blade.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Has anybody tried these water blades? Would be using a my 2011 F150 to speed dry time and reduce water spotting after a wash. She's nothing near a show vehicle and has some sore spots and dings, but looks very nice with little swirling yet and I don't want to unduly expedite that process either.

BTW, the trick to easy drying is to remove the nozzle from your hose and douse the panels with water. Most of it will sheet off.

Also, if you get into the habit of keeping wax on the car, it will stay cleaner and wipe down much faster.

Originally Posted By: dparm
All it takes is for a grain of sand or debris to be on the vehicle and you'll end up with some monstrous scratches.

OT , but let me make it scarier: the neighbor washes his wheels, then dumps the water on top of the car....

Bought one years ago, it depends on your car's shape if it's easier/faster than microfiber. The flatter the surface, the better. The dealbreaker for me was that fact that you are dragging it across the surface. I ended up using mine for windows and sunroofs.

However years later when MF towels became cheaper and I had more I ended up never using the water blade. More, larger MF towels was faster and obviously with enough dry ones available to you, you'll rarely need to wipe the surface. Just toss it open over the paint and move on. What is two or three more MF towels in the laundry when you are already going to do laundry anyways.

Originally Posted By: dparm

Microfibre is still safer since it will pick up any debris.

I know the little picture on the bag makes it seem like that's how it works, but the odds of the microfiber "picking up" any debris and not dragging it across the finish are slim to none.

I'm not saying it isn't a potential problem with the water blade, just that it is also a problem any time you're dragging something across the finish of a car (blade or towel).

I've taken to using a water blade in the summer, but only if I know the car is relatively clean to start. I've not accumulated any scratches yet. In the winter I use microfiber towels and try to blot the car dry as best as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back