warranty calls for tool destruction !

My Mr. Coffee cost me $11.88 at Walmart. The only switch / button it has is for "OFF" and "ON". It's going on 5 years old. When it finally takes a dump, I have another "in stock", and ready to go. That one I got for $10.49 on a end cap sale.

Before that I paid almost $150.00 for a Cuisinart. The front panel looked like the controller for a 5 axis CNC machine. It lasted a total of 4 months before the steam from the brewing process screwed up the thing to the point it wouldn't work.

I'm seeing that in the majority of the newer ones, they finally figured out that hot steam and electronics don't mix.

I see the price has gone up.

Since I am the only person in my household that drinks coffee, I use pods.
The $11.88 Mr. Coffee obviously doesn't take those.
However, while I was waiting the 2 weeks for Cuisinart/Conair to honor the warranty on my machine, I still wanted coffee.
So, I dropped $19.88 at the World of Wally for some store brand, no name pod machine.
It was turdtastic. Happy to have a new replacement for my machine back on my counter.
I have very few vices. A decent coffee machine is one of mine.
Next time Macy's runs them for about $100. I'll pick up a spare, since my warranty ends in April.

I bought a Whirlpool refrigerator which was deemed "unrepairable" after a year (and I got 90% of my money back), but Whirlpool refused to either haul it off, or reimburse me for its disposal... but I'm the one who is expected to stop using it. You want me to stop using it? Then get it out of my kitchen.

The problem was that the thermostat control would randomly fail to do its job, and it would run too long and start to freeze the items on the back of the top shelf. Oddly enough, they refused to even try replacing the thermostat.

I fixed it myself, three years ago. Still using it.

Back in 2009 I cracked a mountain bike frame. Specialized wanted it destroyed before sending me a new one. I asked the bike shop if it was enough that I wanted it to be wall art but they said the Manufacturer had to be sure no one would try and ride it.
They said it was a heat treat issue. Must have been because I still have the replacement.

I had a Yakima Cargo box, on which the latch failed (stripped out aluminum channel that operated the latches).

Yakima was happy to send a new box, including paying for shipping, if I sent them a picture of the old box “destroyed”. All it really needed was that latch mechanism, but because it was riveted in place, they wanted to send a new box.

About killed me to take a Sawzall to such a large, expensive thing, but that’s how they wanted it done. My new box arrived in less than a week. Still have it.

When my house flooded in 2016 , my Cannon safe went under . Their warranty covers floods . They asked for some pictures including one of the tag with the serial number . They shipped me a new , larger model . I hauled the old one out to the street with a tractor and dumped it with the rest of the contents of my home . :(

When I warrantied a Yellow Jacket cord they wanted pics. Then they said they were sending a label because they wanted to research the failure. Fine by me.

I set it aside but a label never came. I did receive a new cord, though.

I emailed the lady again (who had previously been VERY responsive) and said I wanted to clarify -- she had said they'd email me a label, but maybe it was coming snail mail? Or was I supposed to box it and just set it out ala call-tag style?

I got no response. Months and months went by and I just finally put a new armored end on the cord and gave it to my non-profit (shrug)

I sleep fine.....

I just sent back an expensive autofocus zoom lens. It wouldn't focus correctly - and actually I think it had been purchased previously and returned at least once based on the various "wear and tear" on the box and its packaging. Fortunately, all I had to do was send it back. I would have felt bad destroying it!

Reactions: D60
Back