VW 505.00 Rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have a www link for some information on the requirements for a VW 505.00 rated oil? I have a TDI and would like to look into how close the 0W-30 oil I run is to meeting the 505.00 specs.

Thanks.

All I've been able to uncover is a Russian site:

http://www.teboil.ru/book/class11.shtml

Here is the translation:

"oil for the Diesel engines of passenger automobiles without and with the turbine supercharger; it corresponds to the requirements of class ACEA B3; all-season oils; must it was checked compatability with the elastomeric padding"

I am told that the VW 505.00 spec dates back to the TD 1.6L engine, and is not really adequate for the TDI.

Howard,

VW 505 involves standardized testing in the older, 1.6L turbocharged VW diesel engine. There are specific limits for wear/deposits, along with physical/chemical properties like viscosity increase and TBN retention. The VW 502 spec is similar in concept but involves testing in the 2.0L, nonturbocharged VW gas engine.

You can't tell anything about suitability for meeting VW 505 by looking at a spec sheet. One thing I can tell you is that VW 502/505 require a high temp/high shear viscosity of at least 3.5 Centipoise @ 150C. That eliminates most xw-30 oils found in North America.

If you are using the new Petro Canada Duron 0w-30, the HT/HS viscosity is 3.5 Cp, so it meets that part of the VW 505 spec. The PC Duron 5w-40 is probably a better choice for warm weather use in the TDI. I tested some in my Audi 100 and was impressed with the 5w-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back