VR-1 As Gear Oil

CCI

Search function didn't turn up anything on this, so here's a question for the oil experts --

Eaton specified HDEO SAE 50 for their 10-speed transmission, I ran Delo 400 SAE 50 and it worked great. But it's sold in 5 gallon buckets, I won't be needing that much.

Other than the lower TBN and the higher zinc content, what is the difference between Valvoline VR-1 SAE 50 and an HDEO SAE 50?

Look into the specs on the V1R, lots of oils have a gear oil rating.

What would the price savings be?
Oh, sorry gang, I left out an important piece of information. The VR-1 isn't for the Eaton Roadranger, it's for a much smaller transmission that is mechanically remarkably similar, an old Harley.

Search function didn't turn up anything on this, so here's a question for the oil experts --

Eaton specified HDEO SAE 50 for their 10-speed transmission, I ran Delo 400 SAE 50 and it worked great. But it's sold in 5 gallon buckets, I won't be needing that much.

Other than the lower TBN and the higher zinc content, what is the difference between Valvoline VR-1 SAE 50 and an HDEO SAE 50?
being it VR1 specifically says not for wet clutches , if thats where you are putting it, then you'd need a very strong clutch to avoid issue.

Back