Volvo 850 thermostats....brand recommendation??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just replaced the thermostat in my 94 855 NA with another European OEM type (Vernet) from FCP Groton. I used the 92C variety.

Did this as part of my radiator replacement.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: The Critic
My friend has a 740??? wagon and after 1 mile of driving tonight there was still no heat. 158k on the car. What's with Volvos and t-stats?

Dunno, perfect 33°F sunny day to change the t-stat. Got a made in USA Car Quest 195°F unit. Heat, glorious heat. Works perfect.

The 90.0 °C Wahler unit was stuck about .25" open. Amazing.

Yeah, for some reason those often fail open. I guess that is better than failing stuck shut. The Volvo OE part sure doesn't seem to be anything special as far as long term reliability.

Man was I an idiot for running as long as I did with the open t-stat.
33.gif
Now that I refilled the gas tank, blown it out for awhile, the engine runs way better, MPG seems to be up and it's got to be way better for the oil!

Sure is nice to have some heat.
19.gif
grin2.gif

I'm sticking with the USA t-stats. Looked to be more stainless than brass......just saying.....

Get oem- some oem's have a wiggle valve in a small hole, that bleeds air out.

some replacements have no hole and valve or if they have the hole, no valve thing, wiggle thing keeps the hole from clogging up

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
Get oem- some oem's have a wiggle valve in a small hole, that bleeds air out.

some replacements have no hole and valve or if they have the hole, no valve thing, wiggle thing keeps the hole from clogging up

Meh........OEM sucks. Jiggler seems more necessary for older Volvi. 850's have the top vent/return tube. No trapped air pockets in mine. SS aftermarket is better.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
My friend has a 740??? wagon and after 1 mile of driving tonight there was still no heat. 158k on the car. What's with Volvos and t-stats?

Dunno, perfect 33°F sunny day to change the t-stat. Got a made in USA Car Quest 195°F unit. Heat, glorious heat. Works perfect.

The 90.0 °C Wahler unit was stuck about .25" open. Amazing.

Stant makes my CarQuest thermostat that's in my Saturn

1996 NA Volvo 850 2.5L I-5. I'll need to replace the Volvo thermostat for the 5th time or so. They seem to stick open or partially open....I'm about to just buy a generic brand. Sucks because the engine takes forever to warm up, and now that we are have a cold snap I saw condensation on the dipstick (never saw that before).....arrgh.....it happens regardless of coolant type used.

Is there a "best" thermostat?
Best thermostat? Napa.

I just replaced my OEM Thermostat on my S70 T-5, which was a genuine Volvo Wahler. 127000 miles on the clock. It was warming up very slowly, and would rarely hit the normal 3 O'clock position. The replacement was from FCP Groton, which was the Vernet Calorstat. Now it warms up fast, and sticks right at the 3 O'clock position like before.

I put in the 87 degree model, which FCP says is the OEM temp for the Turbo. The owners manual says 87 for the turbo, and 90 for the NA, but my factory stat was rated at 90 degrees...hmmm. From what I've heard the 87 degree model isn't even available from Volvo directly anymore. I'm sure I'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back