Phophorous 1098ppm
Zinc 1202ppm
Molybdenum 0ppm
Titanium 0ppm
Vanadium 0ppm
Potassium 0ppm
VIS@100C 14.40cSt
TBN 10.02

In a VOA of this 0-40, posted by VaderSS on September 12th 2002, the moly was listed as 74 ppm.

What happened to the moly?

porterdog, I bought the bottle from a parts store on 12-30-2002. I figured it could not be that old cause it meets SL/CF GF-3 ratings amoung other things on bottle. I could not find a date on the bottle, I feel it should be required by law. mikeyoilnutt

quote:

Originally posted by mikeyoilnutt:
I bought the bottle from a parts store on 12-30-2002. I figured it could not be that old...

No doubt! That's really weird then. What does it mean?!
confused.gif

I don't know but there is not any Magnesium in this oil like the UOA of the 0/40 posted in the other section.

I would call the lab and inquire about the Mag and Mo,,then call Mobil with the evidence and see what they have say about it..imo

Oil guys, I still have the bottle of 0w-40. I am thinking about sending a sample to Blackstone and have them do a sample. What do you guys thinks? mikeyoilnutt

quote:

Originally posted by mikeyoilnutt:
Oil guys, I still have the bottle of 0w-40. I am thinking about sending a sample to Blackstone and have them do a sample. What do you guys thinks? mikeyoilnutt

If it were me I would call the lab and ask them to run it again. It is missing two adds in there,I think it is possibly a lab mistake.

When the SS first came out and some had Mo and some did not,Mobil was pretty adement that the forumlation was unchanged from what was submitted to the API or whoever,,,this might be a good one to throw in their face for an explanation,imo
smile.gif

Mikey,

"Oil guys, I still have the bottle of 0w-40. I am thinking about sending a sample to Blackstone and have them do a sample. What do you guys thinks? mikeyoilnutt"

If your budget allows it, please do it.

I think the Boron should be higher (about 165)and there should be some moly as well, about 80 ppm.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
The Boron is an anti-wear/FM component, a good detergent, and an antioxidant.

Molakule, Do you suppose that this oil really doesn't need any moly given it has a different formulation of Esters, and Boron? Are Boron and Moly compatible?

Fresh from Schaeffer's St. Louis lab:

Mobil1 SuperSyn 0W40 SL. Bought early January from AutoZone. Lot# "X10G2A4" (On back, and looks factory stencil-stamped. I'm assuming it's a lot#.)

code:

Copper 0

Iron 1

Chromium 0

Aluminum 1

Lead 0

Molybdenum 97

Phosphorus 1505

Zinc 1343

Magnesium 26

Calcium 3594

Silicon 1

Viscosity cSt 13.85

What's this now, two with and two without Mo? Also, note the Phosphorus.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back