Phosphorous 958ppm
Zinc 1231ppm
Molybdenum 2ppm
Titanium 0ppm
Vadnium 0ppm
Potassium 0ppm
VIS@ 100C 21.42
TBN 9.31

Is MOLY a problem for roller bearing engines?The new synthetic Harley-Davidson oil is supposed to come out this year,can't wait to see it's analysis.

Bob ,could you do an analysis of your Sportster?I'd like to see what moly does in these engines.

Mark

Mike,
A big thank you to you for the effort ad results
worshippy.gif

Mike.....how do you see this compare agains other, maybe cheaper automotive oils out there? It will be interesting to see the virgin analysis of the BMW 20W-50 motorcycle oil and compare. What aspect of oil composition could we be missing with this type of analysis?

Alex D. I really do not know, but I wonder why motrcycle oils do not have more calcium in them. It is also interesting how some manufactures use boron and magnesium while others do not. I still do not see how you can go wrong with using a fleet 15W-40 oil in a motorcycle. I will also post the BMW sauce when I get results back. mikeyoilnutt

Alright Mike !..........it'll be interesting to see the BMW oil analysis....you know what we should have done........have a test run on the AMSOIL Motorcycle 20W-50.....I wonder if they have a stout additive package on top of the synthetic base stock....that would make me buy the stuff....I still think the additive package is very important on motorcycle oils....maybe more than synthetic..
quote:

Originally posted by mikeyoilnutt:
Alex D. I really do not know, but I wonder why motrcycle oils do not have more calcium in them. It is also interesting how some manufactures use boron and magnesium while others do not. I still do not see how you can go wrong with using a fleet 15W-40 oil in a motorcycle. I will also post the BMW sauce when I get results back. mikeyoilnutt

"To bad there are so many choices makes it hard for oil obsesed people(like myself) to make dicisions."

You are speaking from my heart !!! hehehe... I am the same way. let me know what you are deciding. I'd cetainly be willing to supply you with the oil if you decide to do more testing! Unfair to have you pay all the time....CHEERS !!
cheers.gif

Alex D, Yeah it would. When Amsoil started marketing their 20W-50 motorcycle oil I noticed their passenger car 20w-50 was up grade to meet SL/CI-4, MA ratings while the motorcycle 20w-50 did not. Amsoil also make their Series 2000 20W-50 which is supposed to be their best 20W-50. To bad there are so many choices makes it hard for oil obsesed people(like myself) to make dicisions. When I get done with my 15W-40 tests I might test the 20w-50. mikeyoilnutt

quote:

Originally posted by mikeyoilnutt:
I still do not see how you can go wrong with using a fleet 15W-40 oil in a motorcycle.

I'm not sure about other motorcycles, but in the two harleys I have owned, the oil will foam up with the few oils I have attemped to use. HD 20w-50 is the only oil I have found that doesn't foam up during operation.

I'm not sure, but foam means air in oil & air in oil is a bad thing.
shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back