Calcium 1473
Magnesium 5
Phosphorus 740
Zinc 854

SUS visc @ 210f 59.1
cSt visc @ 100c 9.95
Flashpoint 400f
TBN 8.2

this is the "sapphire blue" stuff. expected more zinc but that could just be Blackstone. mighty thin too!

I guess this is the VR1 street legal stuff?

Very thin indeed.

In any event, it confirm's my notion, VR1 is just a SL oil.
And even if Blackstone is off, no way they missed almost 600ppm Z and 500ppm P. I have a similar VOA of convetional VR1 posted in the VOA section and it has very similar numbers minus the moly, although my VOA did show slightly higher Z & P.

I was told in the past it was just synpower with boosted zddp and less Ca. This does not seem to be zactly true anymore. Does the Na compound mainly EP frunction or is multi-duty like the ZDDP?

Originally Posted By: Hoosier_Daddy
...expected more zinc but that could just be Blackstone...

Royal Purple is supposed to have 1100 ppm, too. Almost always comes up in the 800 range from Blackstone.
Sometimes I wonder if they even run the test or just put what they expect. Honestly.

Lot more detergent in that than I though - on their site, it says that oil has a TBN of something like 5-6.....

Looks like a good oil to use in any street car - nice and thin, lots of moly, decent TBN, and SL-level AW adds.

Quote:
yes, it says SL approval on the bottle

That's exactly my problem with this oil... it's billed as a racing oil with SJ level Z & P, which is exactly why I don't use valvoline products anylonger. Don't advertise this with high levels of anti-wear additives and then blend it another way which is dramatically different.

This would be good in a roller cammed engine but that's about it. Which at that point, just about any synthetic SM formula will protect a roller cam enough.

That does not seem to be the same as the specs that Valvoline qoutes on the oil...Interesting, i'd say that it looks pretty weak for a dedicated racing oil....

by valvoline's pdf we should see

sodium 490
calcium 1910
zinc 1100
phos 1000

visc 10.5 cSt@100c
TBN 8

I made a mistake - they have a 'Not Street Legal' synthetic 10W-30 and 20W-50; AND a street-legal synthetic race oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back