Valve cover gasket as part of routine maintenance?

thats a pretty clear VCG leaking.

Be careful of those coil pack connectors, to do like to snap off at the tabs. Should be a quick simple job, lots of 8mm or 10mm bolts/nuts. An average DIY should take about 1-3 hours. Good luck :)

When you see and feel how brittle your existing gasket is, you'll appreciate your new one.

To answer your question, yes, it can be routine maintenance, particularly if you have to adjust valves manually at a particular mileage. I did the OM617 gaskets on my Mercedes diesel when adjusting the long-overdue valvetrain. And some cars may need the cam cover off to do the timing belt.

I remember this being recommended for Honda/Acura with each valve adjustment. I had a factory service manual for my 95 Integra, and the recommendation there when replacing the valve gasket was to use a silicone sealant at several points with corners.

That being said, I removed mine a few times and just reused the same gasket.

Here is what my "VCG" looks like with the "beauty cover" taken off. Looks like the P.O did it. But, he did not replace the spark plug tubes. All 4 plugs are drenched with oil. He did say the plugs were replaced. I can't tell. They look like the original Denso ones. All 4 have burnt-like marks at the bottom.

Should I go ahead and replace the plugs? Rockauto it is if I do.

1.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 2
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
On my 2009 2AZ, the tube seals are integrated (at least with OEM gasket)
PXL_20220318_194206811.jpg

PXL_20220318_193956783.jpg

When the old gasket stands at attention and has to be shattered out, you can bet it wasn't sealing well
PXL_20220318_192155409.jpg

Some people claim they've gotten counterfeit spark plugs from RockAuto/Amazon/eBay, so I'm back to brick and mortar for them
SK20R11's are under $10 each with a coupon code @ Advance Auto

On my 2009 2AZ, the tube seals are integrated (at least with OEM gasket)
View attachment 185409
View attachment 185410
When the old gasket stands at attention and has to be shattered out, you can bet it wasn't sealing well
View attachment 185411
Some people claim they've gotten counterfeit spark plugs from RockAuto/Amazon/eBay, so I'm back to brick and mortar for them
SK20R11's are under $10 each with a coupon code @ Advance Auto
I ordered NGK plugs from Rockauto for the Honda. They were legit. 4 OE NGK plugs off Rockatuo are $24 for the Camry. I keep hearing a "rattle" like sound from the rear end of the car when going over bumps. I'm thinking it's the sway bar links. Plus, the cabin air filter is dirty and I am assuming the engine air filter is also dirty. To get the engine air filter off, there should be a 10MM bolt. But mines got like a 4mm bolt that I can't get off.

Back