UOA Toyota WS ATF 2016 Tacoma 2.7 4cyl AC60E Trans. 79k miles on fluid

Hey all! First UOA post here. Dealer did a drain and fill at 60k miles. Drained fluid looked bright red and awesome. Truck sees on-road use only. Short daily trips of 3 to 4 miles with longer trips on the weekends. Entire trans holds 9.1 quarts. 2.5 quarts drained. Truck shifts amazingly smooth. No third gen tacoma shifting hate here. Any questions? Fire away! Thanks all.

-Tim
Screenshot_2021-06-29-14-29-30(1)~3.jpg

What did you refill with? Maxlife would be my choice:
Maxlife is goooooood stuff. Have it in my power steering! Only used WS because i got a killer deal on some when i bought the truck. Gonna do another drain and fill next month with Petr from the Toyota Maintenance youtube channel! So stoked. Will probably use Maxlife then.

Maxlife is goooooood stuff. Have it in my power steering! Only used WS because i got a killer deal on some when i bought the truck. Gonna do another drain and fill next month with Petr from the Toyota Maintenance youtube channel! So stoked. Will probably use Maxlife then.
Stoked? About what?

on my 2013 tacoma i changed the tranny and diff oil at 85k and the guy asked...WHY?
he not only showed me the fluid but the pan right when it came off...looked new...nothing in it.
thats one of the reasons tacoma's have such a high resale value.
btw, this was at a tranny shop, not the dealership.

on my 2013 tacoma i changed the tranny and diff oil at 85k and the guy asked...WHY?
he not only showed me the fluid but the pan right when it came off...looked new...nothing in it.
Right on! Im a firm believer in taking care of my stuff. Im an overmaintainer. I just want this truck to be amazing for the next person one day, and i want them to say wow, he really took care of this thing. Was the diff change at 85k factory fill?

he not only showed me the fluid but the pan right when it came off...looked new...nothing in it...
How did the tech know there was nothing in it? Did he do a particle count with a low power microscope to determine metallic and non-metallic debris?

Visual observations tell you nothing about the particulate count, the state of oxidation, or the amount of viscosity shearing.

Again gentlemen and ladies, since ATF formulae changes, and if you are going to be sending in fluids for basic analysis, one should also send in a New Oil (which we call a VOA) sample of the OEM or aftermarket fluid to be used for comparison and as a baseline.

Last edited:
i got the older 4 speed auto trans. with the 2.7l engine i can drain at least 4 quarts (cold), i had recently did 3 refills/drains consecutively for a full flush with the OEM T-IV

i did my Diffs/transfer case/auto trans at 50k miles it needed it, but i bought the truck 2nd hand and it looked to be a work truck with towing included.

Thanks for posting the UOA. Which fluid looked bright red? I’m assuming it was not the fluid drained by the dealer at 60k but the fluid you drained at 79k with only 19k on it?

my tranny factory fill oil looked bright red at 85k
i bought the truck new.
i have done some very light towing with mine.
i didnt see the fluid on the diff, but he said it was fine as well and no issues. yes also the factory fill.

Back