Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel Fuel Additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this has been beat to death, however....I heard that ULSDF is super high in cetane rating.

My question centers around cetane numbers. I know that the old fuel with a cetane improver made the diesels run better and start better.

Does a diesel owner need to worry about high cetane numbers with a lubricity/cetane fuel additive?

Can too much cetane index improver ruin an engine?

Are the company's that make diesel additives making a flow better/lubricity additive only for the new fuels coming out?

Most LS diesel is 42-44 cetane and I now that the TDIs and Liberty CRDs are designed to run on a 49 cetane rating. ULSD won't be higher than 50 cetane, it would cost too much.

ULSD should meet a certain minimum lubricity requirement to be sold. However, I personally will add an additive to enhance the lubricity. I prefer to use biodiesel to do the trick but powerservice and other products like it should be ok too.

So does this mean that cetane additives are a additive of the PAST?

Lubricity and Flow additives are all that is needed with the new Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel Fuel?

Thanks

LCM

I am purchasing a new 2006 Duramax. This is my first diesel.

What is the BEST additive for protecting the engine. Not looking for power adding unless it comes with it. Just looking for what is best for my motor and affordable.

Thanks

A couple of points:

ULSD needs to be made with a cetane of 40, in order to get the most usable product out the door.

Biodiesel itself doesn't provide lubricity - the glycerides ( the same contaminant responsible for gelling) are the entity that provides lubricity.. so, if you refine the contaminants out, no lubricity..

Interestingly, there has never been a standard for lubricity, since the ASTM tests ( HFRR / SBOCLE) used to measure it have been deemed inconclusive and inaccurate by the petroleum industry. My feeling is that the new lubricity standard using these tests was arbitrarily assigned in oder to go forward with mandating biodiesel everywhere.

Also, additives such as power service and the like are petroleum waste products containing sulfur - the EPA is looking heavily at those right now.

quote:

Originally posted by Scooby:
I am purchasing a new 2006 Duramax. This is my first diesel.

What is the BEST additive for protecting the engine. Not looking for power adding unless it comes with it. Just looking for what is best for my motor and affordable.

Thanks

Most of the diesel specific additives are very similar in their makeup. Amsoil, Redline, Power Service, Howes, Cen Pe Co, etc. all smell pretty much alike and claim the same benefits. Fuel Power 60 and Lucas are two dual-rated products that are different in their modes of action from the rest. I think as long as you use one of these products regularly you will be fine.

Found the answer I was looking for: Another Bravo to Amsoil...and it pay's you 7 cents a gallon plus thousands in engine wear and parts over the life of the diesel engine/ Quote below from Amsoil.

Diesel fuel, like diesel engines, is changing to meet emission and other environmental requirements. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has introduced major changes in diesel fuel for 2007, including Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel fuel (ULSD), bringing the sulfur content to 15 ppm, a staggering drop from the current requirement of 500 ppm. Lower sulfur means lower lubricity, the property that controls wear in the fuel injectors and fuel pump.

New emission regulations have brought on engine modifications such as exhaust gas recirculation (EGR), causing rapid TBN depletion due to acid formation and higher levels of soot loading in the oil. Higher soot and particulate content has resulted in the introduction of diesel particulate filters, but they clog easily, lowering engine efficiency. All of these changes mean that new diesel fuel needs quality fuel additives to keep equipment operating efficiently and prevent malfunction. AMSOIL has made some changes to its line of fuel additives. The changes reflect the new diesel fuel regulations and incorporate the latest in fuel additive technology.

AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate
AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate has been reformulated with additional lubricity properties. The new AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate (ADF) is a total system cleaner and lubricity improver for all types of diesel engines. AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate compensates for the quality variances of different fuels (including biodiesels) and the deficiencies of today’s ULSD for better engine operation.

Reduces Cylinder Wear, Retains TBN Longer
New low-emission engine models with high rates of exhaust gas recirculation have inherent lubricant challenges. These engines dump excessive amounts of soot and acids into the oil, accelerating wear on the cylinder walls. Additionally, new engine oils meeting CJ-4 requirements will have lower sulfated ash content, which controls TBN levels. The new mandate only allows enough sulfated ash content to reach a maximum TBN of 8-9, making TBN retention even more important. New AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate controls these issues by neutralizing acids during combustion. This minimizes acidic cylinder wear and reduces the rate of engine oil TBN depletion, maintaining engine oil quality longer for better protection.

Minimizes Soot Loading
AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate is a powerful cleaner that cleans fuel injectors and piston rings for improved combustion and better sealing. It minimizes soot generated from incomplete combustion and helps keep soot out of the crankcase. Reduced soot loading controls soot related wear and engine oil viscosity increase.

Fuel Stabilizer
Fuel degradation can cause gums, which increase deposits and the chance of filter plugging. AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate significantly improves the oxidation and thermal stability of diesel fuel. It overcompensates for ULSD fuel’s potential stability loss caused by extra processing and sulfur removal. Diesel fuel treated with AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate easily meets the requirements of the National Council of Weights and Measures (NCWM) Premium Diesel Fuel Specification for resisting diesel fuel degradation.

Improves Fuel Economy and Restores Horsepower
Diesel engines become less efficient over time. Fuel injector deposits interrupt spray patterns, causing poor fuel atomization, incomplete combustion, excessive emissions and smoke. Tests prove that AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate cleans dirty injectors, not only improving fuel economy by up to five percent, but also restoring horsepower to like new. Acceleration is improved, and with regular use, AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate continues to enhance performance by keeping injectors clean.

No-Cost Additive
High fuel prices are increasing operating costs for everyone. AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate has proven in industry standard tests to improve fuel economy in used diesel engines by up to five percent. At $3.00 per gallon for diesel fuel, even a modest three percent improvement in fuel economy equals a savings of $0.09 per gallon. With a treat rate of one oz. of AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate to five gallons of fuel, at U.S. Retail price the net treat cost of AMSOIL ADF is $0.083 per gallon, bringing the total savings to $0.007 per gallon and negating the cost of AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate altogether.

Improves Water Tolerance
AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate is an alcohol-free product that protects fuel systems against water contamination. It helps prevent fuel/water emulsions and it protects metal against rust. Water can be drained easier and fuel filters are less likely to plug, ensuring drivability.

AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate Replaces AMSOIL Diesel Modifier
AMSOIL Diesel Modifier is discontinued, and new AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate is applicable in its place. There are no longer different fuel additives for heavy- and light-duty diesel engines, simplifying applications for customers. New AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate meets and exceeds all catalytic converter requirements.

AMSOIL Diesel Cold Flow Improver
Combining AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate with a cold flow improvement property is not cost effective in the summer months, or to AMSOIL customers who live in the south. To keep costs down for customers, AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate no longer includes a cold flow improver. Instead, AMSOIL provides new AMSOIL Diesel Cold Flow Improver (DFF) for low-temperature applications below 40°F.

Diesel fuel forms wax crystals and gels in cold temperatures, plugging the fuel filter and affecting engine operation. AMSOIL Diesel Cold Flow Improver for diesel fuel is designed for use with ULSD and conventional fuels. It functions by modifying the wax crystal formation at low temperatures to depress the pour point and improve the cold flow filtration properties. AMSOIL Diesel Cold Flow Improver lowers the cold filter plugging point by as much as 20°F and decreases the need for #1 diesel fuel that is diluted with kerosene. AMSOIL Diesel Cold Flow Improver contains jet fuel-type deicer to help prevent ice formation in fuels contaminated with water. It is recommended for use with diesel engines and is compatible with diesel exhaust particulate filters (DPFs). AMSOIL Diesel Cold Flow Improver is excellent for use with AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate and AMSOIL Cetane Boost Additive. Recommended mix ratio is one oz. of additive per five gallons of fuel.

Heating Oil Improver
AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate provides many of the same benefits in heating oil furnace applications. For this reason, Home Heating Fuel Extender (AHF) is discontinued. AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate provides fuel oil storage stability, water stability, rust protection, fuel oil filter longevity, and its detergency properties should help keep fuel oil nozzles clean for proper spray in the combustion chamber. AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate promotes trouble-free operation. AMSOIL Diesel Cold Flow Improver is recommended where fuel oil is stored outside.

Recommendations
AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate is recommended for use with all types of heavy and light-duty, on or off-road and marine diesel engines. The recommended mix ratio is one oz. of additive per five gallons of fuel. It should be used with every new tank of fuel for the best performance and protection against fuel pump wear, injector wear and injector deposits. It is compatible with all types of exhaust emission systems such as diesel particulate filters (DPFs). It is recommended that AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate be added to fuel before storage. Diesel Concentrate is excellent for use with AMSOIL Cetane Boost and AMSOIL Diesel Cold Flow Improver.

Sweeping Changes
All AMSOIL fuel additive products will be sold in 16 oz. bottles that have 22 ml. openings that fit directly into gas tanks. The bottles are natural in color with graduations on the label to ensure correct dosages. All products have a new mix ratio of one oz. of additive to five gallons of fuel (one bottle treats 80 gallons of fuel). AMSOIL Diesel Concentrate and Diesel Cold Flow Improver are now available in the new, more convenient bottle.

I don't know where the rumor came from about ULSD being higher in cetane rating. That costs money, and isn't gonn'a happen.

Here's one spec sheet for ULSD, and it is typical:
http://usor.com/pdfs/specs/lpd/finished/ULSDspec.pdf
Note the Cetane of 41, just above the minimum of 40. Note the lubricity test of a minimum of 520...maybe good enough, maybe not.

The methyl esters in biodiesel to improve lubricity, but not as much as the monoglycerides which are contaminants. The cheapest way to improve lubricity of ULSD is to run a 2% biodiesel mix.

Amsoil makes some good products, but don't believe their hype that their products are head and shoulders above the rest. I'd use their products but I'd carefully consider both the amount of improvement and the cost per mile.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Drew:
Most LS diesel is 42-44 cetane and I now that the TDIs and Liberty CRDs are designed to run on a 49 cetane rating. ULSD won't be higher than 50 cetane, it would cost too much.

ULSD should meet a certain minimum lubricity requirement to be sold. However, I personally will add an additive to enhance the lubricity. I prefer to use biodiesel to do the trick but powerservice and other products like it should be ok too.

These cetane numbers will need to be clairified...the reason why is that I don't want to run to high of cetane numbers in my engine. the post right above this one state 40...can you help or rebut this information?

Can anyone clairify the new cetane numbers accross the board? Ken has data...I won't run a cetane improver if it is not needed.

Thanks,
LCM

Just to clairify what I am trying to accomplish let me re-state my questions and make a short statement. I have used PowerService Diesel Fuel additive with cetane improvers, water dispersents, and lubricity additives all in ONE bottle...with that said, I will throw out the questions:

If the new ULSD fuel is higher in cetane numbers over the old diesel fuel...do we need cetane additives anymore?

Will we only need lubricity additives Only with the new fuel?

Why would we need a water dispersent and flow improver if the new fuel is so highly refined and modified?

I have noticed that Amsoil has 3 products for diesel fuel, not the all in one treatment that PowerService has had. To me the PowerService has been the easy one to use, but am wondering about the above questions and Amsoils marketing of fuel additives.

I'd think that ULSD with the Schaeffers Soyshield additive would be a good combo. It's a biodiesel derived product and I've been impressed with it's performance in the past. Perhaps Ken has tried this combo???

FWIW, I believe that "Stanadyne" makes the Amsoil diesel fuel additives, to specs that Amsoil provides....

TS

This cetane issue is somewhat inflated to say the least. First the latest industry standard (ASTM D975) calls for a minimum 40 cetane number. Bear in mind this is a actual engine determined rating and not something that is extrapolated like the cetane index. As a matter of fact, D975 notes that the cetane index is an approximate determination. If you will note, the specification sheet that Ken2 provided gave a cetane index and not a cetane number. I agree with him that the cetane numbers of ULSD will not begin to approach 50 and above. They typically should run in the 40-46 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back