Tread depth monitor built in to TPMS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely unnecessary. TPMS is different, it's not (always) clearly visible if your pressure is low, but this is just silly.

Originally Posted By: RoGuE
Absolutely unnecessary. TPMS is different, it's not (always) clearly visible if your pressure is low, but this is just silly.

I don't know about that. It seems to me that this is the same as having an oil pressure gauge or a water temp sensor.

If the technology is easy and inexpensive, and the vehicle comes with a computer (which they all do nowadays), then a simple program to alert drivers of issues seems like a logical step. I'm aware that some research into devices which can measure a whole lot of things on tires, and I suspect this is just an opportunity for vehicle manufacturers to see if it is viable.

As long as it looks at the whole tire it could solve a few issues in the LX/LC world.

In cars running very wide tires many times the inside edge of the rear tires are virtually unseen. If the vehicle sits low like all SRT8 models then it is even worse.

I have seen minor alignment issues wear down the inside edge of a rear tire and be completely unknown to the average owner...

Sounds like a smart idea. Too many drivers consider a car ready to go if they have a key and gas in the tank. Oil?...properly inflated tires?...tread on those tires?...Whazzz Dat? Is such a sensor keeps one driver from skidding into my lane, it is a GREAT idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back