Tray, tray liner, tray, tray liner, tray

Status
Not open for further replies.
I, too, stay away from LA as far as I can. But it's good that they have a system in place.

Down here, it's based on local inspectors.

A takeaway (guess which variety) had caged, almost featherless chickens being fed fruit and vege shop scraps (illegal) to provide the eggs.

Just outside the open kitchen door.

Ewww!

And what about that slice of lemon that they put on the rim of your glass of iced tea? Where did it come from and how did it get on or in your glass?

Been working food service for 8 years. I've seen some nasty **** in my time. Those trays may be the last of your worries!

Luckily, I cook for a very clean retirement community now (our Orkin (bug) man says this kitcen is one of few he will eat out of.) I very rarely go out to eat anymore (aside from the fact it's expensive), you never know where that steak has gone.

Floor spice is not your friend, but you'd be amazed how many people will serve food after it's been on the floor
frown.gif

Am I the only one who realizes that they're required to WASH the trays between uses. And that includes "that nasty tray bottom"

Virtuoso, having witnessed what's going on in commercial (Don't want to call them professional!) kitchens, what are in your experience the odds that a finished dish, as served to the patron, has been somehow contaminated by unclean food handling practices and/or accidents, or an evil clown cook or waiter?

quote:

Am I the only one who realizes that they're required to WASH the trays between uses. And that includes "that nasty tray bottom"

Based on looks they don't get washed, at least not here. I often see the guy who collects the trays wipe them with the floor/toilet/seat/table rag...

Just a wild guess: If you eat out more than once a month, your chances of eating one mishandled meal a year are pretty good.

Mishandled could mean alot of things, though. Just because it's a large chain or fancy place dosen't mean the kitchen has a good clean flow, either
frown.gif

I worked in pest control for a period of one year when I first moved back to FL from AK. Disgusting job, believe me. Not for everyone. Not for me either apparently, as I quit in disgust and moved on to a different profession.

Anyway, did a lot of commercial jobs which were usually restaurants and have seen my share of horrible unclean conditions in the kitchens.

Ironically, fast food joints are usually the most sanitary in comparison. I treated a chinese restaurant in Destin, FL. Shut it down and hit the place with a spray called CB-80 contact killer. I swear that german roaches came crawling out of every orifice in that kitchen, even from the false ceiling!

Took 3 of us over an hour just to clear those out. They were in everything, even the bins of dried rice (55 gal trash cans this guy used). Keep in mind that anyplace these roaches live, they crap as well.

The floor and counters were covered in a film of grease and oil and there were old pots full of old oil shoved under the sink, etc.. Dirty rags everywhere. You would have never guessed this by looking at the front eating area of the place. Very clean and well maintained. In back was a different story altogether.

This is not an anti-chinese restaurant thing as I'm half asian myself and my mother used to own her own chinese restaurant which was immaculately clean. Just a simple observation from experience. Anyplace can be like that, believe me. I remember one good ole' mom & pop eateries that had rats running across the floor while they were prepping the food and the chef would handle raw meat then go straight to finishing the salads after he placed the meat on the grill!

At this point in my life I'm wary about just touching a public door handle now. It's just too dangerous to let things slide anymore.

quote:

the chef would handle raw meat then go straight to finishing the salads after he placed the meat on the grill!

I see that at mall eateries all the time. The "chef" puts raw pieces of meat or chicken on the grill, then uses the same tongues to place the cooked meat on the customers' plates. I've pointed this out to them on occasion. They don't comprehend what's wrong. There you order grilled meat because you think you can be sure all bacteria etc has been killed by heat, but of course they serve you up an e-coli platter with a side of salmonella.

"tongs"

I thought "tongues" was more appropriate, given the slippery circumstances!
tongue.gif

I saw a good one the other day. the girl at the register was being good and wearing gloves. I like that. the problem was she was missing the point as was handling everything with her gloves on. money, trays, food, etc.

tom slick...I see that a lot.
when I go to the deli, I wait until I see a gloveless lady, then I order the cold meats, then I order the uncooked meat producets.

Mori...I've seen that too, but am less worried, given that the surface of grilled meat is still very very hot, and would likely kill most stuff before it got too far.

As to bugs:
* I was leaving a toilet at a local establishment, and opened the door with my shirt between my hand and the door handle...one guy looked at me wierd, another said "you do that too ?
* A study found over 20 different people's urine samples in free peanuts (may be a myth, but see above).
* My mother in law has been in hospital (terminal cancer) for 40 days, and I've seen 3 nurses, and zero doctors wash tehir hands. Even seen a nurse go from helping her clean up vomit, to a neighbouring room to halp an old lady go to the toilet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back