Tractor oil too high?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Thanksgiving

Dad and I changed the oil in some of the yard equipment this morning. One of the things was the Kubota L4330. The owners manual says 8.7 quarts. I filled it with 8 and according to the dipstick it was too high so we drained some out (1/2 quart?) to the proper level. It has 2 drain plugs and we let it drain for about 15 minutes so I'm pretty sure all the oil was drained out. Other than continuing the check the level before use, what's the next step? What could have caused this?

Thanks.

Did you run the tractor after the change -before checking the dipstick? With that goofy oil pan, you might need to run it before checking the dipstick in order for the new fill oil to get pumped into all the holding areas.
L3940-engine-drain.jpg

You can not get all the oil out unless you tear down the engine. There will always be some oil left.

I'd just make sure you run it for a few minutes, recheck oil level and top off. I'd sleep well.

If you're talking 4 quarts out of 8.7 qts, I'd be a little concerned but 8 qts out of 8.7 is not unusual.

Yeah we ran it for about 20 mins before the change. Then a few minutes after. Then checked. Let it sit for about an hour while we changed the oil in a few other things and redid the whole process.

As of now it should about "about" 7.5 quarts in it. Sounds all good though. Just continue to recheck.

Thanks all.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Did you change the filter as well?

Sorry i miss you. But yes we did. Oddly enough she takes the same filter as what our 4.0s take. Lol. We used the M1-204.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Did you change the filter as well?

Sorry i miss you. But yes we did. Oddly enough she takes the same filter as what our 4.0s take. Lol. We used the M1-204.

That's good! You only have to buy one kind of filter then!
thumbsup2.gif
As long as the dipstick reads full I wouldn't be concerned about it. Those Kubotas are great tractors.

When I changed the hydrostat fluid in my tractor, it had fill, drain and level holes, plus a filter. When I put in the correct amount it came out the fill hole long before I got the right amount in. I'm assuming the filter needed to fill up. I had to check it several times and add a tiny bit each time to get it to the overflow. Frequent checking until it no longer needs additions is my practice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back