Torque wrench for undoing nut

Ndx

Has anyone ever undone nuts with torque wrench.

Stay put ( I’m not talking to use it as ratchet )

Service manual calls for 19ft lb; tighten - loose, tighten - loose, tighten

I obviously could switch back to other ratchet set, but wondering …

Thank you

Some torque wrenches come with a locking function. If it doesn't don't use it to loosen a nut.
Granted, 19 ft lb doesn't seem much and even if takes 50 ft lb to loosen it - so if you'd use a
torque wrench rated for up to 150 ft lb damage to your torque wrench seems highly unlikely,
but when it comes to tools and measuring tools in particular you better get used to one basic
rule: Use as intended, nothing else. Never. You could also ask about using a caliper as pliers . . . .

My Snap On Torque Wrench does go AC/DC, but I only use it for torquing down bolts and nuts cause it costs too much money. If I want to remove, I use a rachet or a breaker bar.

Mines an old beam type, calibrated in both directions for counterclockwise bolts, so yeah it's not a problem with this one.
However, I still purchased a LONG breaker bar for wheel lug nut that some tire changers like to overtighten.

As it's not the intended/designed use for torque wrench, the answer would be no for me. They are supposed to be a precision measuring tool, I wouldn't risk damage of opposite direction use.

If I'm retorquing cylinder heads, for instance, I use the torque wrench to both back off the nut and then retorque it. I've never thought twice about it.

Back