Toro Self Propelled, Junk It or New Engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does run, but barely. It's making knocking noises & leaking oil out the exhaust. I have a no frill mower shop nearby that I've used before, maybe I'll let them give it an eval.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
It does run, but barely. It's making knocking noises & leaking oil out the exhaust. I have a no frill mower shop nearby that I've used before, maybe I'll let them give it an eval.

With oil coming out of the muffler, it sounds to me like the crankcase is full of gas due to a carb problem (overflowing), this is NOT unusual, I have seen it a thousand times! To start off with, the carb needs to have the needle & seat replaced, the float replaced (a common failure!), and the oil changed. When it is started back up it will smoke for a while but it will clear itself out in a few minutes. This simple and inexpensive repair may just solve the problem.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I'm not crazy about Tecumseh engines either. A few years ago, I found a Lawn Boy with a Tecumseh in a trash pile. I took it home and swapped a Honda GCV160 onto it. Now it's my favorite mower.

http://www.jnjhome.net/ope/kermit.htm

That's kewl, sounds like we had the same [censored] mower with a GC160, mine was silver as well but deck was full of holes... Was given to me by a friend after the B&S blew on the '81 Snapper I was running... I installed the Honda on a near perfect Snapper deck that it's B&S had a bent crank(both Snappers were curb finds)...

No site but here's a pict of the final product...

http://amradio.freeiz.com/misc/mmscvid 005.jpg

Originally Posted By: TFB1
That's kewl, sounds like we had the same mower...

The Craftsman mower was actually fine, but I quit using it after I bought a Honda Masters HR215SXA used from a friend. The Craftsman was just sitting in the shed, and I hated not using it. Someone at work had an older Craftsman with a blown front transmission but with a good B&S engine. I said that I'd swap his B&S engine over to my Craftsman deck because I wasn't using the Craftsman anyway. So I did, and he continued to run it for a long time, and I set the Honda GCV160 up on the shelf for later use.

Turns out that Lawn-Boy 10330 with a bum Tecumseh was the perfect opportunity.

I'd be inclined to try 'oil remedies' first....

Drain the oil, and put some 20W-50 in it - might smooth it out, and reduce knocking and oil leaking out.

Try 'Restore' engine additive, that stuff can temporarily 'fix' bad cylinders and reduce noise/oil consumption.

Just a couple of cheap ideas.....

I had to post some follow up. I was finally able to look the mower over much better. Things are better that I had thought.

The muffle was loose, one bolt missing the other very loose. That lead to most of the knocking noise & allowed oil/condensation to leak out from the loose muffler. Not sure how the moisture got there. I had a bolt that fit & secured the muffler.

The oil looked dirty & weak/thin. I changed it with some 15-40 Shell I had on hand. It runs almost great. I do suspect old ethanol fuel in the tank. I'll run that out, I also put some Seafoam in.

It runs fine for 5+ min or so & then decides to let out a small cloud of blue smoke. I was careful with the oil level but will check it again, so not to high.

I have another bolt I plan to replace & more evaluation. When I get done I'll offer it back to the neighbor lady who 'gave it' to me. I took it because it looked like it was shot with my short eval at the time.

I also sharpened the very dull blade, excellent now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back