Tool Chest Swivel Casters

I have the HF 72 inch rolling chest, with a 56 inch top chest. I move it on occasion for cleaning the floor and spider webs etc.

I find it hard to maneuver since 2 of the wheels are non swivel and 2 are. For those of you with a large tool chest, would it be easier with all four swiveling?

I may add the end chest also for grinders, and that would extend past the wheels.

The chest weighs 530lbs, the top chest 266. Currently has 6 x 2 inch casters 2 fixed 2 swivel with brakes.

Any reason not to go to 4 swivel wheels?
IMG_20200105_203206491.jpg

View attachment 107518
img_20200105_145412931-jpg.107519

Attachments

• IMG_20200105_145412931.jpg
    IMG_20200105_145412931.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
I have 2 of the 72s with lockers on the end, it was a pain in the butt to get them in place and I haven’t had to move them out yet. I’m also interested in this.
11A5BCFA-111E-4695-AEAE-A0E695805ED0.jpeg

Be careful. Stuff like that get tipsy when you try to push it the narrow way. I have a relatively short jobbox on 4 swivels and it likes to try to tip with not much in it.
Guys, J has a great point. Unless you are always going to have an extra set of hands to move it when you need to, you are better off sticking with the casters it has. In that configuration it allows you to pull and push on the swivel on while the fixed wheels assist in direction movement.

Reactions: GON
I absolutely did this on a 60" Milwaukee chest, but there is no upper chest. I love it personally so I can pull it away from the wall then roll it wherever

edit: not the same but also on my service cart. No way I'd have a service cart without all 4 on swivels

If you've got the space a pallet jack is another option that's also useful for lots of other stuff

Be careful. Stuff like that get tipsy when you try to push it the narrow way. I have a relatively short jobbox on 4 swivels and it likes to try to tip with not much in it.
I just clean around them, if one tips over you going to be real sorry especially if you are in front of it like my brother was.
I just want to roll it straight out from the wall a few feet to spray out the floor and wipe down the spider webs. I didn't realize it could tip easily.

Something to think about ! Definitely don't want to tip it over. Its 22 inches deep.

I just want to roll it straight out from the wall a few feet to spray out the floor and wipe down the spider webs. I didn't realize it could tip easily.

Something to think about ! Definitely don't want to tip it over. Its 22 inches deep.
That is why it is important with big top and bottom box setups to one buy one with locking draws that you have to lift up on to open the drawer.
If non locking once one drawer opens and it tilts the rest open and over she goes, this is extremely important with little kids around that like to open the bottom drawer and stand on it to reach something on top that catches their eye.
I have seen a lot of tool box accident over the years, the bigger they get the more dangerous they become.

Edit: Anyone that has one of those inexpensive big stainless ones from cosco with no locking draws and has kids should safety chain them on on the sides to the wall.

Last edited:
I have a big Snap On box like those HF boxes pictured above. When I need to sneak it against the wall or pull it away, I use a floor jack with a board on it right at the edge of the box. Works perfectly.
Just pick up the end without the swivel casters and pull it straight out.

That is why it is important with big top and bottom box setups to one buy one with locking draws that you have to lift up on to open the drawer.
If non locking once one drawer opens and it tilts the rest open and over she goes, this is extremely important with little kids around that like to open the bottom drawer and stand on it to reach something on top that catches their eye.
I have seen a lot of tool box accident over the years, the bigger they get the more dangerous they become.

Edit: Anyone that has one of those inexpensive big stainless ones from cosco with no locking draws and has kids should safety chain them on on the sides to the wall.
Mine has locking drawers, but your point is valid. I will have to think about it more.

Last edited:
I oriented the swivel wheels toward the front of the cart as in rolling that direction. I lifted the other side of the cart with my floor jack between the non swivel wheels and raised them about 1/8 off the floor. I pulled a bit and did not feel the cart really lean or tip enough for the wheels to touch, so i think i'm ok.
I would only be moving the cart from each end anyway, especially since @Trav warned about being in front of it.

I ordered 2 swivel casters from HF 3-7 business days $160, no shipping charge.

Reactions: D60
Update for @RhondaHonda . Casters are still on order, not in stock. HF customer service says call back every 20 days to keep the order active.

I wonder if it's just these, or is this an issue with any HF replacement part?

I just clean around them, if one tips over you going to be real sorry especially if you are in front of it like my brother was.
Yep -it happened to me. Threw me onto my car and caused $1200 damage to it and multiple bruises and cuts to me. Lucky- could have been much worse. Now I tie the top chest to the wall

Moving big chests in general is a PITA. And can be dangerous. Most people don't realize just how much dead weight you can put in those things. Especially the larger ones. They're much harder to control with 4 swivel casters. As for cleaning inside a garage, I've found nothing works better than a high pressure air nozzle.

A couple times a year I move all 3 vehicles out, open both doors, and start at the back, blowing outward toward the open doors. I have several pedestal fans I turn on high, to assist in pushing air, (dust), out the doors.

Brooms and vacuums can't reach where a small air nozzle can. I took a standard air nozzle and opened it up with a pencil grinder and a carbide burr, so it runs with 90 PSI in and 90 PSI out, and brazed a long piece of 1/4" OD brass tubing on the end of a short 1/8" pipe nipple that is screwed into the nozzle. I have 2, 25 ft. retractable air hose reels. One in the rear, and one in front.

It works beautifully, and gets underneath shelving and behind water heaters, tool boxes, and washing machines. And I don't have to move anything around. We have our laundry in the garage, and clothes dryers generate a lot of dust. In 10 minutes everything is as clean as the day I moved in.

Last edited:
I finally received the HF locking swivel casters, they were ordered in July.
Easy to install. They are identical to the existing swivel casters on one end , and they lock.

It is much easier to move the chest.
But I do take the advice of @jhellwig ,@willbur , and @Trav seriously.

I will not be in front of it when I roll it, and the wheels will be oriented and locked in the same position as the non swivel wheels when parked.

The casters are very heavy built and the step locks work, and really hold.

I will also keep the non swivel casters so I can reinstall them if I ever give or sell the chest to someone else.

Including @RhondaHonda as he had interest in this.
IMG_20221102_125339849_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221102_125357250_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221106_200622922.jpg
IMG_20221106_200551621.jpg
IMG_20221106_201715689.jpg

I finally received the HF locking swivel casters, they were ordered in July.
Easy to install. They are identical to the existing swivel casters on one end , and they lock.

It is much easier to move the chest.
But I do take the advice of @jhellwig ,@willbur , and @Trav seriously.

I will not be in front of it when I roll it, and the wheels will be oriented and locked in the same position as the non swivel wheels when parked.

The casters are very heavy built and the step locks work, and really hold.

I will also keep the non swivel casters so I can reinstall them if I ever give or sell the chest to someone else.

Including @RhondaHonda as he had interest in this.
View attachment 124939View attachment 124940View attachment 124941View attachment 124942View attachment 124943
Glad to see you are being careful. That tipping over is very easy and no joke. I tie mine down now with a rope through the handles to the wall

Back