Too good to be true?

Saw this on fleabay. I'm tempted to buy it but don't want to get burned by a counterfeit or a box someone refilled with some low quality oil.

Screenshot_20231123-114638.jpg

98.1% feedback sounds high but for an eBay account that's pretty poor. I bet you'll find if you look at all the other stuff they sell it's mostly just tat to get the number of sales up higher. When I go on their account it also says they are based in China but that maybe a glitch as I'm from the UK.

How much would that oil cost from a known reputable supplier?

Valvoline.PNG

Just buy from Valvoline direct, they are offering buy 1 get 1 50% off, you can still add the 12 qt box but they don't offer the discount on another box but will apply the discount to a 5 qt jug.

Oh! It's only $4 less than from Walmart. I'd just get it from there and no have to worry about whether they're questionable or not.

I wouldn’t waste time and risk getting scammed with some el cheapo knock off oil just to save $4. 🤦🏻‍♂️

It could very well be a perfectly legit deal just clearance priced to move it from someone garage / warehouse. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I just took delivery of some ST 0w20 in the 3 gallon bag/box from ebay. Compared to one from the store the packaging is identical. I need to come up with a viscometer (calibrated can with hole drilled in it) to "test" both batches but I'm confident I got the real stuff.

I think the boxes are starting to get a bit more common. I saw Mobil 1 has 12 qt boxes at my local WM which I see some of in the above pics.

I know the ST is the same price per qt regardless if in the 5qt jug or 12qt box

I think the boxes are starting to get a bit more common. I saw Mobil 1 has 12 qt boxes at my local WM which I see some of in the above pics.
It seems to come & go around here. One of my best scores ever was 3 boxes of M1 HM 5W20 for ~$4 each AR. I haven’t seen any M1 garage/eco boxes in store stock around since, guessing it didn‘t sell very well

I'm an eBay seller and can tell you that as a buyer, you have massive protections from scammers. In fact it is weighted so heavily in favor of buyers, that I have to fight at times to prevent being scammed by buyers. ;) I would not hesitate to take advantage of a "deal" because eBay always has your back as a buyer. Really.

I'm an eBay seller and can tell you that as a buyer, you have massive protections from scammers. In fact it is weighted so heavily in favor of buyers, that I have to fight at times to prevent being scammed by buyers. ;) I would not hesitate to take advantage of a "deal" because eBay always has your back as a buyer. Really.
But if done really well can you tell if it's been refilled with something else? If you pay for a VOA any savings are obliterated

But if done really well can you tell if it's been refilled with something else? If you pay for a VOA any savings are obliterated
In the universe of possibilities, it could be really well faked and full of cheap generic dino oil. But I believe the risk of that is quite low...the profit from such a ruse is simply not worth it. But as a consumer, you are free to pass and move onto something that makes you feel more comfortable with the transaction.

I just checked eBay, there are multiple sellers of this deal...some at an even lower price. I would say this is more likely than not a legit offer.
Prices range from $36.50 to $41.99. The $36.50 seller only has one left and its coming from Sri Lanka...lol. That one could be a scammer, but you would still get a full refund if he can't deliver. I have bought authentic BMW factory parts from Lithuania and Ukraine before on eBay, without issue.

Last edited:
Back