Tires older than I thought, how bad is this dry rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some folks in this thread seem to think that if the tire is holding air, that's enough. Sorry to burst your bubble, but the tire is also a structural component. It can come apart AND still hold air - and that's why we look at the condition of the outside (to get an idea about the condition of the internal parts.)

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Doesn't look bad at all. Looks like new old stock. I would probably run them and watch them. If you do a lot of highway/interstate driving I probably would switch them out though.

Respectfully disagree. If I let those tires go or passed a car with them for PA Inspection; my work would fire me. The tire in first post I wouldn't be using at all. Safer to replace

I have had several sets of Michelins that looked worse than those tires at only 3 years old.

If it weren't for the dry rot, I would run them. I run snow tires much older than yours. They are crack free and were stored in a controlled environment for many years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gfh77665
Its got to the point here that ANYTHING short of a brand new tire, with 100% full tread depth is a "DEATH TRAP" that will soon kill you.

Don't forget the "any tire over 5 years old is horribly dangerous!" or my favorite the "don't drive on all seasons below 7 degrees C, must switch to winters asap or it's going to kill you!" rules.

Some tire manufacturers just use [censored] rubber, like the Motomasters I had which looked worse than the OP's pictures after only 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back