Tiny motorcycle filter on a Honda Odyssey van!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was changing my neighbors oil and looked at the filter still on the mini-van and thought I must have bought the wrong filter as it was like 1/2 the size of the Purolator Classic I bought for the 1996 Odyssey. I looked it up and I had the correct Classic filter.

The site for Wix filter look up shows the filter for cross for the tiny Valvoine VO-106 filter as a Honda motorclcle filter from 1,000 to 1,300 cc's.

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=51365 Click on "applications".

Site for larger filter Wix 51334 that is the same size as the Classic I bought. http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=51334

The Valvoilie site shows the V0-106 as a replacement for the way larger VO-39 that crosses with the L14459 Classic I bought and the larger Wix 51334.

http://www.showmetheparts.com/BIN/docume...ion%20Chart.pdf

The thing I really did not like besides being a much smaller filter was the small holes in the motorcycle filter. There were the same number of holes as the larger filter but there holes were 1/2 as large.

What gives with this? Valvoline trying to stock less filters at it's oil change places? I sure would not want a tiny filter like that on my vehicle.

Given a set amount of "dirt" inside an engine they want the big pores of the filter to plug up so it can be optimally efficient. In short they know what they're doing!

It called consolidation and downsizing to smallest application that will fit. It's now become very common with quick lube oil filters and 'made for' filters like Valvoline, Quaker State, and others. It's also done with commercial accounts filters like Group7 and ProMotive. It saves on shipping and handling fees for the supplier and the end sellers.

Not my favorite idea either, and why I prefer the original manufacturer's strandard size filters to many made fors. The 14459 to the shorty 14612, the VO-106 equivalent, is a good example of the diferences in size that can occur.

For a decent filter, Use WIX 57356* or ACDelco PF2057. The Smaller inlet holes in the base are there for a reason, and, in aggregate flow better than the one, large, outlet hole.
*DO Not Use wix 51356 or 65

Originally Posted By: callbay
http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=51365 Click on "applications".

In fairness to the manufacturers involved here, Wix changed their application guide slightly. The 51365 used to be specified for a lot of automotive applications, in additions to the ones you currently see there. They've just changed things up. My G used to call for the 51365, but now calls for the 51358, which is much the same size.

Don't worry about it. The Toyota UZ-series V-8 engines use filters about as small as the Honda filter as well. It's simply a non-issue.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
It called consolidation and downsizing to smallest application that will fit. It's now become very common with quick lube oil filters and 'made for' filters like Valvoline, Quaker State, and others. It's also done with commercial accounts filters like Group7 and ProMotive. It saves on shipping and handling fees for the supplier and the end sellers.

Not my favorite idea either, and why I prefer the original manufacturer's strandard size filters to many made fors. The 14459 to the shorty 14612, the VO-106 equivalent, is a good example of the diferences in size that can occur.

That, and it saves shelf space, which is an advantage, because some auto repair shops already have supply rooms that are already too small.

There is no such thing as a "motorcycle" oil filter.

There are lots of filters that are spec'd for a multitude of applications, per the OEM for the intended OCI, flow rates, delta P, burst pressures, threads, etc, etc. Many of the aftermarket filters will fit a WIDE cross-section of applications.

Engines run MUCH cleaner than they used to many years ago. And machining processes make for much less wear. Therefore the need for a large, high-capacity filter really isn't there.

So it (the van) has a small filter? It's still probably more than adequate for the job.

Last edited:
I understand what the OP is saying, while by strict definition it's not "motorcycle filter", the VO-106 is a very small filter. And in this specific application it is actually 'two' filter application sizes smaller than the Odyssey spec'd size which in the Purolator is the 14459 application. Ironically the VO-106 is actually smaller than the filter used on my motorcycle.

While it is also true that the timble size VO-106 will work adequately enough, I wouldn't want to make a regular practice of using a filter two filter sizes smaller than what is called for by the vehicle manufacturer. And while vehicle warranty isn't a consideration for the OP's said Odyssey, I frequently read here how using an oversize filter 'could' or 'might' be a concern when using other than the spec'd size filter. Logic says the same could hold true for a smaller filter, even if supposedly stood behind by the filter manufacturer.

So while it may not make much difference to some, I don't want lube shops and some filter suppliers downsizing to suit their convenience and cost considerations dictating the filter I use, especially when it's smaller than spec'd. But that's just me.

I would agree. I could have been a bit clearer.
As long as one uses the OEM spec'd filter, all should be fine.

If someone is economizing and downsizing a filter without doing good research, there is inherent risk.
If the OEM specs a smaller filter where it formerly used a larger one, I'd be OK with that.

Last edited:
If everything is the same, price included, would you use larger or smaller filter ? Assume that either one will fit without any problem.

Personally I like larger filter for extra oil it can hold, and usually larger filter flows more oil.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Personally I like larger filter for extra oil it can hold, and usually larger filter flows more oil.

I "like" that idea, too, but it isn't without risk, albeit rather minor. The automaker's warranty requires a specified filter - not oversized. The filter manufacturer warranties a filter for the specified application - not something larger that happens to fit. Even some oil companies' warranties I have seen require use of the specified filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back