Thoughts on using CD-2 w/Lucas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to purchase a three pack of auto-rx on sale for Christmas, but a seemingly knowledgeable person at Pep Boys persuaded me to purchase CD-2 for sludge clean-up, and Lucas for an oil treatment. I know auto-rx is reall the way to go, but are these products decent, worth using, or should I return them. I trust all of your opinions so much I thought I'd ask first. Oh, I drive a '96 Buick Lesabre 84,000 miles. Long time reader first time poster!

Nick

Hi Euclid!

Welcome!

To summarize, go ahead and return your Lucas and CD-2 and pick up some AutoRX and maybe some Fuel Power. I've never used the Fuel Power, but truxt me on the AutoRX, it works very well!

Check out Bob's test of Lucas oil additive on the homepage. It will surprise you.

CD-2 is composed of 100% of two grades of mineral oil. Lucas Oil Treatment (or whatever the junk is called) has been shown on another page of this message board to actually RUIN oil by harming it's anti-foaming characteristics. Run screaming from the Lucas product -- the CD-2, while not necessarily a good or bad product, is as simple as it sounds, just 100% mineral oil. If your engine isn't terribly dirty, in lieu of an additive, you might try running a "diesel" oil for one or two changes since these have additional detergents/dispersants. Here's info on the less expensive flush products, and there's also plenty of info on the better additives in these boards as well.
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=001064

[ December 01, 2003, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: TC ]

I picked up three auto-rx bottles, I will return the CD-2 and Lucas to pep boys. I am really encouraged by the recent results I have read on the forum on Auto-RX. I am not experiencing any difficulties with my car (in fact everything runs like new), I just hope to unlock some hidden potential, that has been lost through the years, and keep my engine healthy for years to come. I have also switched from FRAM to a supertech filter, and from any-old DINO oil to Catrol GTX high milage. I'd appreciate your thoughts on the High Milage vrs. regular or the synth blend. Thanks again for your comments!

Nick

That high mileage stuff has really worked on everyone's mind. There are two cars in my family. One has over 200,000 km and the other about 300,000 km. Both don't burn any oil so why would I need a high mileage oil. Up here high mileage is 50% more money and I'd prefer to put that into an extra ATF change and extend my tranny life.

That said, I imagine if I bought a new car that needed high mileage oil after 100,000 kms I'd be pretty upset.

Use either Auto-Rx or Schaeffer's Neutra to clean your engine.

Forget about an oil treatment. If you want better oil, buy better oil. With one or two obscure exceptions that are not available over-the-counter, neither you nor I can mix a better product than the oil company chemists already have ready for us.

Ken

If you are not having an oil burning or leaking problems with your car than I see no reason to use any of the "high Mileage" oils. If you want a better oil get a 100% Synthetic oil. Sometimes Walmart puts Mobil 1 on sale in the 5 quart jugs. I think you made a good decision to return the oil additives to Pep Boys and purchase the Auto-Rx.

welcome.gif

[ December 02, 2003, 05:27 AM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back