testing a battery just before replacement warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking it would be a good idea to test all batteries I purchase just before the replacement warranty ends. If it fails with my tester, good chance it will fail with one at the store. Or one can hope.

Or maybe once a battery makes it one year it will likely make it 5 or 6 years.

Just an idea.

What brand battery? I was going to do this for the battery I bought last year. When I went to get the receipt I was past the one year mark by a week. So I said forget it. Go for it and report the results back on here if you can.

I do that. I'll tell you a secret. The Evermaxx from Walmart test as "bad" on many load testers even when new and working fine, so you can use that "property" to get a free replacement before warranty expires. The only problem is the replacement has no warranty I was told.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
I do that. I'll tell you a secret. The Evermaxx from Walmart test as "bad" on many load testers even when new and working fine, so you can use that "property" to get a free replacement before warranty expires. The only problem is the replacement has no warranty I was told.

I've exchanged several batteries under warranty at Walmart over the years. I've never once even had them test a battery, they just exchange it no questions asked.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Amd we wonder why stuff costs so much...

Highly doubt that is true with batteries. Most people run them until they are dead....like me.

I don't have time to worry about the warranty and stuff.

Though I will test them if I think they acting up though...

The replacement follows the original warranty (or it did) so if you do it on an almost 3-year old battery you get a week.
lol.gif

The Midtronics tester meets the warranty standard of most battery makers, and now we have a home version knockoff with HF and Solar.

The cutoff is fairly reasonable, 50-60% of new CCA capacity to fail. I don't feel it's fraudulent to demand a new battery if entitled.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

The replacement follows the original warranty (or it did) so if you do it on an almost 3-year old battery you get a week.
lol.gif

The Midtronics tester meets the warranty standard of most battery makers, and now we have a home version knockoff with HF and Solar.

The cutoff is fairly reasonable, 50-60% of new CCA capacity to fail. I don't feel it's fraudulent to demand a new battery if entitled.

I was told by Walmart that if you do not have a receipt they use the mfg. date code. If that really true they cannot tell a warranty battery from a purchased battery.

Originally Posted By: Donald

I was told by Walmart that if you do not have a receipt they use the mfg. date code. If that really true they cannot tell a warranty battery from a purchased battery.

The replacement battery has a bar code sticker on it. They scan it in and know when and what was installed.

Originally Posted By: Donald

I did this a few years ago. Had a "yellow" battery that conked out: 3 years, 6 months past the manufacture date, no receipt.

Took it in; they were at the time pro-rating. Was given around $45 credit.

Picked out another battery, paid a few bucks to make up the difference between my credit and new battery price. The clerk took out a knife and cut out the little month/date circles (punches?) on the new battery... but cut out the original battery's manufacture date!

I don't see those month/date circles on every walmart battery, and got the impression at the time that the clerk realy knew what he was doing with arcane walmart rules or was just making stuff up!

I got NO RECEIPT on my new battery and exited through the TLE exit immediately adjacent, as the clerk there knew I was "good" and not just stealing a battery!

I've read that they've since tightened their rules regarding receipts etc, probably for good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back