Tell me about the Galaxy Nexus

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been tossing around the idea of buying one. I like my iPhone but I'd like a little change. The Ubuntu phone is being developed or this phone and the Nexus 4, plus Verizon has shown an interest in it. Another push towards it. Can anyone tell me about this phone? Good, bad??

The GNex has a sub-standard antenna. When released, there were complaints about poor signal, and Samsung/Google tried to hide this by modifying the signal strength meter. However, there were repeated reviews and tests performed that showed comparable competitor phones had better signal strength under the same conditions. In other words, they would put a GNex alongside two or three other similar phones and the GNex would show considerably lower signal strength (dBm).

This was the sole reason I didn't buy it and instead went for the Droid RAZR. RF performance should be the most important aspect of a phone -- it is, after all, a phone.

So my recommendation is not to get the GNex unless you are willing to put up with a higher incidence of dropped calls, inability to make calls, and possibly faster battery depletion.

As a matter of personal opinion, I thought the build quality was not great for a phone that retailed for $299 at release. For a "Nexus" device, it felt a bit cheap.

Galaxy Nexus is a Samsung item and Nexus 4 is a LG.

Wife had the Galaxy Nexus and loved it. I had a Nexus 4 and its a great phone. LOVE the raw android and quickness of updates. Never had a signal problem with either. I wish they had SD-card storage but @ 16 gigs it was okay.

When we went to T-Mobile we sold the phones and got T-Mobile phones (mostly for the wi-fi calling/texting which is amazing) and am happy with those.

If the Nexus branded phones could have worked with the Wi-Fi calling we would still have them (though I do love having Sd-card storage above the 16 gigs on the phone)

Take care, Bill

Seems like every few months there's some new hot phone out. I think it was out in November 2012. The latest favorite seems to be the Galaxy S4. Google is rumored to be releasing the Moto X soon, some say August 1st.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Galaxy Nexus is a Samsung item and Nexus 4 is a LG.

Wife had the Galaxy Nexus and loved it. I had a Nexus 4 and its a great phone. LOVE the raw android and quickness of updates. Never had a signal problem with either. I wish they had SD-card storage but @ 16 gigs it was okay.

When we went to T-Mobile we sold the phones and got T-Mobile phones (mostly for the wi-fi calling/texting which is amazing) and am happy with those.

If the Nexus branded phones could have worked with the Wi-Fi calling we would still have them (though I do love having Sd-card storage above the 16 gigs on the phone)

Take care, Bill

No calling over wifi (Google Voice/Talkatone?) even with Jellybean update?

Last edited:
The thing I needed was simple turn on the Wi-Fi and the T-Mobile number would just switch over with no concern.

And then when you leave the Wi-Fi it goes back into 4g / cell phone towers automatically.

Their setup is really a excellent system. Just got back from visiting the Sister in northern MT and there were times were the partner cell systems up there did not work very well. The Wi-Fi was perfect.

Woke up one day with a welcome to the USA message since she lives so close to the Canada border.

I'm happy with the phones and service we have now. Can't beat the price and service...

But the Nexus 4 is a excellent phone. (back to topic) I'd have one over the Nexus Galaxy which is no slouch..

Take care, Bill

Well after much deliberation and the inability to find a new Nexus, I do not like refurbished or used phones, I used an upgrade and bought the Galaxy S3. The S3 was $150 cheaper after mail in rebate than a refurbished Nexus. This thing is FAST!! Its MUCH lighter than my old iPhone 4S. Plus the 4G service is amazing. Jellybean is VAST improvnent over 2.3 I used a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back