Synthetic non detergent for new 1978 B&S 11 hp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eng. is on 30" mower I use approx. once a month @ prob 2K RPM. With no pump/filter I've always used ND 30 wt. so soot, etc. would settle out some. Wondering bout wisdom of using ISO 100 synthetic compressor oil.

Honestly I don't see the point of this. I run amsoil ACD, a syn 10w-30 with no viis, so really a straight weight synod want that detergency and dispersancy because of dirt ingress and deposits.

I use 15w40 heavy duty engine oil in my mower. I change it in the fall right before my last use and keep it in for a year. It works really well so far.

Dwayne, the old girl will run on anything that resembles motor oil.

I would never go out of my way to source a non-detergent engine oil, nor do I see the reasoning on wanting synthetic anything in it after it's been fed nothing but ND oil.

My personal choice is 15w40, but any 30wt variant is fine too.

Joel

There is no such thing as "synthetic non-detergent" motor oil. Non-detergent is the worst junk you can use in it. It doesn't matter that it doesn't have a filter. All small engines now cal for detergent oils, regardless if they have filters or not. Use a modern detergent oil and you will substantially reduce wear and extend the life of the engine.

Quote:
Non-detergent is the worst junk you can use in it.

For sure.

I think you have been given some bad advice in the past.

You have a lot of wear going on in that engine because ND oils have no Anti-Wear addtives at all, only some anti-foam additive.

Any 10W30 to 10W40 will treat the engine better than ND oil.

Originally Posted By: DwayneOxford
Eng. is on 30" mower I use approx. once a month @ prob 2K RPM. With no pump/filter I've always used ND 30 wt. so soot, etc. would settle out some.

Depending on how many hours you have on that engine, I'd wager that its insides are a sludged up mess. Using a non-detergent oil in a hot-running, air-cooled, splash-lubed lawn mower engine is about the dumbest thing anyone could do.

Many owners manuals from that era spec'ed non-detergent. There has been a lot of chemistry since 1978.

Fear not. Oil has never been so good.

Not worth the effort to find non Detergent.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Many owners manuals from that era spec'ed non-detergent. There has been a lot of chemistry since 1978.

As far as I know no B&S engine from at least the mid '60s onward was ever specked for non-detergent oil...

Originally Posted By: TFB1

As far as I know no B&S engine from at least the mid '60s onward was ever specked for non-detergent oil...

That's why I didn't say B&S.

I'm not sure why some people have this love affair for a non-detergent motor oil, especially in an air-cooled lawn mower.
Several years ago, my mom bought a new rider lawn mower from a big-box store. The salesman was real helpful, but he insisted that she put non-detergent motor oil in the B&S engine. So when she got it home, she was ready to go on a shopping trip to get this "magical" non-detergent oil. No amount of talking could convince her otherwise. I finally had to show her the oil recommendation in the owner's manual to prove to her that she needed detergent oil in the engine of the mower.
I wonder how many other people out there who bought a brand new mower at that time are still using non-detergent oil in the engine of their mower because some salesman convinced them that it's the oil that they need to put in their new mower.
The worst part of all this is that Briggs & Stratton is probably doing warranty work on these engines because of some self-proclaimed expert convinced them to go non-detergent.

Originally Posted By: TFB1

That's why I didn't say B&S.

The OP said this was a B&S engine so how, exactly, is referencing other manuals regarding non-detergent oil relevant?

I'm a huge fan of Mobil 1, 15W-50 in hard working, air cooled OPE engines.

The oil and additive package is robust and will result in very long engine life, when changed at regular intervals.

Ive seen power generation turbines that burn diesel fuel, living in high salt air environments run for MANY, MANY hours on just good old group I R&O oils.

So this stuff probably works.

What the deposits and fouling is, is another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back