Switched to Rotella 5W-40 Syn in a 2004 Chevy Aveo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this forum is for gasoline car oil...but I just wanted to post a little finding by switching to HDEO synthetic in a gas passenger car with a problem.

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Aveo with 133K miles on it. It was cheap, runs great and is my little run around gas-saver vehicle. But with 5W-30...this winter (and even warm weather last summer) has been pretty bad for cold starts. I get alot of chatter for the first few seconds until pressure builds up. I assume it's the overhead cams waiting for oil. It always bothered me and I was tempted to try Lucas oil stabilizer to see if that did anything. But I'm not a fan of additives.

So being a diesel owner as well, and having some on hand, I decided to change it with Rotella 5W-40 diesel engine oil this time. Drove it quite a bit yesterday and all seemed well. And to my suprise this morning with a 25 degree cold start...it was totally silent on start up after sitting all night. Usually I'd get some ticking for a couple seconds.

It had good service records on it so I'm not too worried about the HDEO cleaning sludge too much. I don't feel there will be much in there anyway. So that doesn't worry me. But I am happy that it seems to either "hold" on the cams better or else flows faster on cold starts.

Last edited:
Yeah, was my experience on a noisy 00 Toyota Corolla also. It was T6's 1200ppm zinc, not the thick or thinness of the oil that quieted it down IMO. SN oils are stripped naked of tick quieting zinc to compensate for late model catalyst efficiency thresholds of 95%. But IMO that threat is overblown. If you don't burn much oil there's not much to worry about.

Possibly better anti-drainback valve performance.

T6 is good stuff, but overkill for a roller-cammed vehicle. They are (reportedly) coming out with a 0w40 version of T6.

you should try a 0 weight like 0w40 or 0w30 and see if that help's in the future . never can go wrong with GC! but i always wondered about diesel oil in reg passenger car's.

Originally Posted By: JohnathanDm
you should try a 0 weight like 0w40 or 0w30 and see if that help's in the future . never can go wrong with GC! but i always wondered about diesel oil in reg passenger car's.
GC IS A THICK SAE30 OIL AT MOST ALL TEMPS ABOVE ZERO, AND GROUP IV MIGHT HAVE A LOW GEL POINT BELOW 40c, BUT STILL SHOW POOR LUBRICITY, TRACTION AND ADDS DELIVERY WHICH WOULD CAUSE COLD START NOISE. (O00PPS CAPS LOCK ON, sorry :C )Shells slckwax XHVI group III+ is a good base lubricant.
On another note ZDP doesnt come into play at cold start idle. And SZDp is used up, so a freash SN oil might have more active ZDP than a 2000 mile hard driven SH oil. UOA dont differentiate between an "all used up" EP additive and active adds.

Same filter. WIX 51040. Silicon anti-drainback valve. I'm going to drive it four hours solid tomorrow. In local driving, I've really noticed it being quieter. So perhaps the 40W over the 30W is helping since it has some wear...and the zinc.

It's always had GM dealer bulk 5W-30. For the last year I've ran Shell 5W-30 conventional. So it's a pretty clean engine. Just had the timing belt replaced too. So maybe it'll go a while. Not the best car or engine in the world but not bad.

I truely commend you for having the patience to drive the Aveo. I have had the experience of driving several as rental cars, and it was truely an effort to drive the car. Accelerator was more of an on/off switch than an accelerator pedal. I could not wait to return the cars.
Happy for your noise resolution with the new oil

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: steve20
I truely commend you for having the patience to drive the Aveo. I have had the experience of driving several as rental cars, and it was truely an effort to drive the car. Accelerator was more of an on/off switch than an accelerator pedal. I could not wait to return the cars.
Happy for your noise resolution with the new oil

I'm considering getting one for a winter rat. Just don't hit the "hold" switch ... it gets stuck in OD ...

- Reaserch all compatable Oil Filters and try to find out if there is one with a slightly lower bypass threshold - maybe it's worth it during the winter months, especially to compensate for the heavier oil on start-up ... you risk it bypassing more under sudden acceleration, but if you drive the Aveo around town for the fuel economy I'm guessing you don't hammer the gas pedal very often...

- From what I've seen Lucas additives turn Peanut Butter thick in sub-freezing temperatures, if it were me I wouldn't want it in any automotive fluid by the time December comes around...

- Speaking of sludge, has your 2004 had the PCV Bypass TSB done in 2008?

Last edited:
I've had 10 different full size trucks in my 38 years, half diesels...but this is my first car. Bought it for $1500. It's in very nice shape. Just a put-put around toy for now I suppose. And yes, driving it is quite an experience. It's so small, sits so low and rides so rough. I had it on I-70 yesterday between the Illinois State line and Indianapolis...which is the ROUGHEST interstate highway section in the entire USA. It was pouring rain and traffic was terrible. 70-75MPH. When I got to Indy the steering wheel was "crushed" where BOTH my hands were holding on. LOL. It's a handful. It felt like I was in a Cessna 140 at the point of take-off but it would never fully come off the ground. I kept swearing my riding mower would handle and ride better at 70MPH. It is what it is. I'd never buy a new one or anything even close. Waste of money at new prices.

Anyhow I've not had the PCV bypass done myself. Haven't looked into much besides the timing belt and new plugs. I'll check with the local GM dealer where the previous owner took it for service.

^^HaHa! Nothing will turn your knuckles whiter than driving a go-cart on a crowded interstate with 18 wheelers passing you at 80 mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back