Swimming Pool Chlorination

I get my 12.5% liquid at Menards. It has gone up in price and I’m growing tired of handling 100 gallons a year. I’m thinking about going the SWG route for $2k. Maybe later this season or next year before start-up.

I get my 12.5% liquid at Menards. It has gone up in price and I’m growing tired of handling 100 gallons a year. I’m thinking about going the SWG route for $2k. Maybe later this season or next year before start-up.
I'm lucky in that I just have an 18' above-ground and can get away with the cheap Intex SWG's, but if I had a bigger pool, I think I would still invest in a SWG. They're just soooooo much easier.

Still where to get just chlorine?
Use to be even normal city water had a chlorine smell not any more. Now black mold will grow from the water supply, and a few years ago a lady dies from a brain eating amebae, from using tap water to flush her nose with a neti pot, so go figure. Basically I don't think our city water is what it used to be.

Had my swimming pool for like35 years. For most of that time I really have not done "major" shocks. What I do is chlorinate to maybe 6ppm or so and then let the chlorine get back town to 0. Varying chlorine content is the most efficient way to keep algae from growing (IMHO). Less chlorine is better..ask your liner.

Anyway with the pandemic it became difficult to get liquid chlorine which is what I have mostly been using for the last several years. I ordered 50 lb of skimmer tabs on Amazon. They each weigh 7.2 OZ. What I do is break them up in their plastic wrappers and dissolve them. I use 4 tabs per "mini shock" and it lasts 5+ days. The tabs at $1 each so basically 5 bucks a week for chlorine and since they have stabilizer, its a pretty good way to go.

My pool is 18 x 36 but the depth is 32 inches so thats like 17,500 gallons of water.
You actually don't want the chlorine to get to 0. Bouncing back and forth is not good for the pool. I helped maintain a 65,000 gallon apartment complex pool. There are several factors to consider not just chlorine

If you want just pool chlorine costco sams and Walmart typically carry it for a reasonable price.

You actually don't want the chlorine to get to 0. Bouncing back and forth is not good for the pool. I helped maintain a 65,000 gallon apartment complex pool. There are several factors to consider not just chlorine
The other problem with using tablets is that it is usually stabilized chlorine, so it drives your CYA levels up, which isn't a good thing.

Totally solved the problem. It was a type of algae I had forgotten about. I keep the chlorine levels way up. Add Yellow Treat weekly and a clarifier every few days. Replaced the sand with the polyester 1" balls. I have yet to backwash.

Also added one of those house filter units to one of the returns to g et filtering in the 25 micron range.

I have had a terrible time this year with our pool. Standard 18x36 rectangle, 25k gallons, vinyl liner. Liner was installed in 2016, it's time for another most likely. We have another one, it was almost installed in 2016 and my wife said "that's not the pattern we ordered and agreed on", we got to keep it. I told her she was going to like that pattern in 7-8 years.

I don't know that we will install another liner. We don't use the pool at all now. We spend time at the lake.

I neglected the pool in the fall/winter, let all the leaves settle to the bottom and sit there until March. As hot as it's been this summer, I'm having a terrible time with algae, our pool water is over 95°F. We have a DE filter, I've never cleaned it during the summer. I've cleaned it 4 times this summer. I've spent more time on the pool this summer than the other 7 years we've been here combined.

I'm seriously prepping my mind to fill it in.

I have had a terrible time this year with our pool. Standard 18x36 rectangle, 25k gallons, vinyl liner. Liner was installed in 2016, it's time for another most likely. We have another one, it was almost installed in 2016 and my wife said "that's not the pattern we ordered and agreed on", we got to keep it. I told her she was going to like that pattern in 7-8 years.

I don't know that we will install another liner. We don't use the pool at all now. We spend time at the lake.

I neglected the pool in the fall/winter, let all the leaves settle to the bottom and sit there until March. As hot as it's been this summer, I'm having a terrible time with algae, our pool water is over 95°F. We have a DE filter, I've never cleaned it during the summer. I've cleaned it 4 times this summer. I've spent more time on the pool this summer than the other 7 years we've been here combined.

I'm seriously prepping my mind to fill it in.
Indeed my worst year ever - intense sun and heat - chemical prices are through the roof (now that I can find some) …
Heading there now 😟

Back