Summer vehicle storage, change oil before storing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the consensus will be to change the oil before storing it to have fresh oil to combat acids and such. I would, presonally, store the vehicle with a fresh oil change but would not change it again when pulling it out unless it was more than a year. Just my opinion and doesn't mean it's necessarily correct...

Split the difference.
If less than 1/2 OCI then don't change.
If more than 1/2 OCI then change. That is what I intend to do myself.
Before 1/2 OCI there won't be any acids and other bad stuff, so no need to change.

Ran a marine storage facility for 20+ years.

We always did an OC before storage mainly due to any acidic buildup. After the OC we ran engine for 2-3 min. just long enough to get a fuel stabilizer into the system, fogged lightly and shut down.

I think fogging would be your best preventive measure against wear. Your cylinders will rust where valves are left open to the air. The best way is to loosen up the rockers ..but that's not practical for most people.

Change the oil, take one last long drive to be sure engine is at full operating temp then leave it until spring.

Gary,

I've found fogging also helps with carbon buildup. It'll act a bit like seafoam, just not as aggressive.

I've read every post in this thread, and I have a couple of questions:

1) How do you fog the engine?

2) When you take the engine out of storage in the spring, should you change the oil again?; Since the oil is changed before going into storage, the oil should still be good by spring, right?

Get it up to operating temp. Remove air cleaner and spray formula in slowly for 30 sec or so. Then give it one big injection to nearly kill it and shut off.

No oil change is needed in the spring.

Quote:

I've read every post in this thread, and I have a couple of questions:

1) How do you fog the engine?

Amsoil and probably a whole host of other companies make special fogging oils, just follow the directions on the packaging.

i thought for fogging oil you pour some in your spark plugs, and crank the engine by hand a few times and thats that.

does a engine that is being stored for 6 months really need fogging oil? i dubt rust will form.

Quote:

i dubt rust will form.

I assure you it will. In a freshly power washed block, rust will start forming before you get back from the car wash (yes, some power wash blocks at car washes). I've seen it. Now a cylinder has been scraped pretty clean of oil on the down stroke ..and has NONE above the top ring.

Quote:

i thought for fogging oil you pour some in your spark plugs, and crank the engine by hand a few times and thats that.

does a engine that is being stored for 6 months really need fogging oil? i dubt rust will form.

Interest in maintenance like this kept my engine rebuilding bay in business for years.

There's an old saying that goes something like this. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Yet life goes on for the lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back