Stress Marks in Air Filter Housing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I cleaned the outside of my 02 Camry's air filter housing and took a close look.
Where the screws attach the top half to the bottom half, the black plastic housing shows some white stress marks. You know like tiny spider web micro cracking lines. Someone probably over tightened the screws, onto the thick K&N rubber gasket I had in for a couple of years.
I thought about putting some RTV silicone on the surface, but was afraid it would contaminate the sensors.
I am not convinced the stress marks (micro cracking) leak air. Even they do, they probably filter better than the K&N did
laugh.gif

I am thinking just leave it alone and keep an eye on the oil analysis for Si.
What do ya think?

What the heck, Johnny, why not schmeer a thin layer of silicone/RTV on there to coat it. Couldn't hurt to keep the humidity and air off the cracks. Doubt you're leaking, but maybe the silicone will prevent further deterioration..

I remember the round aluminum air cleaner housings on the old Ford V8s. They were loaded with stress fatigue cracks from normal use.

Not familiar with the part you speak of, but am familiar with plastic/nylon cracking.
May you could put a fender washer with a rubber washer under each bolt to spread the load out and stop the spread ing of those cracks.
Just a thought.
My 2¢

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back