Strange behavior with dusk-to-dawn light

When I first bought this house I live in 20 some years ago, I installed a dusk-to-dawn light that has always functioned well. The last few days, I have noticed that the bulb is lit 24/7. Earlier this week, I swapped out the bulb with another known good bulb, and that one also was lit up in the daytime.

My question—since I have no background in electronics—can I assume that the problem is simply a malfunctioning dusk-to-dawn light sensor, and that I need to replace the assembly with a new one? After 24 years, I guess I can say that I got my money’s worth out of it.

As far as what else it could be, my question would be—can I also assume that the problem is not with the electrical wiring that is feeding the dusk-to-dawn light?

This might sound basic to electricians here, but I am not one of them, so I don’t know what else the problem might be. I’d rather not buy a new light assembly, just to find out that this wasn’t the problem.

Maybe turn the breaker off and open it up? I'd probably just replace it. Outdoor fixtures usually look pretty ratty after 10 years anyway.

They go bad all the time. The mode of failure is usually on. If it is one of the cheapo pole ones with the photo eye on top they just twist and pull off and the new one pops on.

Look for the electric eye and see if it had dead bugs or dirt on it...if so clean it...if it is clean the photocell may be bad...they are made to fail in the on position...

If it’s one of the newer lights then disconnect it from the power and let it sit for a while then hook it back up

OK, so I'll look at the light sensor, and if it is dirty, I'll clean it and pop it back on. If not, then I'll just replace the entire unit.

Reactions: hrv
Some of these have a switch sequence that puts them in always on, if we are talking about a typical eve or wall mounted assembly.

Back