stopping BING links when doing mouse-over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I FIXED IT !! yay: had to do this:

Open Firefox, in the address bar, type "about:config", if it does not work, add a space(push the Space Bar) after config "about:config ", then hit enter.

You will get a warning, accept it and continue, Now in the Filter bar, type "keyword.URL", double click on it, a window will pop up, enter the next text, then click OK after.

"http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q="

You don't even need to restart Firefox in order to test the changes.
You have changed from Bing to Google Search engine now.

Last edited:
I don't get those anymore and I used to. This is linux, so I know it's not a virus or malware. I think Ad-Block Plus for Firefox (using 3.6 currently) is what stopped them for me.

Ahhhh, so it sounds like your default search provider had been changed to Bing. Had you recently installed IE8?

nope - I don't use any type of messenger.

this bong thing has been happening for a while though ..it's not very recent. It's just today I just had ENOUGH of the [censored] bong!

that's possible, I guess, although i am not very click-happy, but like you said, i could've mistakenly done it without realizing it.

Thanks.

Just checked fox.com and it is gone. I think I turned ''mouse gestures'' off the other day. Oh, I am using Debian.

Easier way to disable it, if anyone else has this problem, is this:
Mouse over the hyperlink to bring up the window
Click on the '?' symbol in the upper right area of the window
A new browser window or tab will open and take you to Vibrant Advertising's website.
In the help sections click on 'Deactivate'
Refresh your browser
Fixed!

I have been using Google Chrome in Windows and Linux lately and added the Adblock + Extension.

I then added to Adblock "*.us.intellitxt.com", without the quotes. I also added "*.kontera.com".

Have really gotten into using Google Chrome and several of the Extensions.

If you are using Internet Explorer, try adding the following entry to your restricted sites list in the options for security settings:

http://*.us.intellitxt.com

Or you could try *.us.intellitxt.com Also add *.kontera.com

I don't as a rule use IE so you may have to play with the settings?

Opera has similar settings available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back