Stop Window creaking...

What do you guys use on your seals to stop creaking in cold weather when going over an obstacle that twists the frame (pulling in/out of driveway)? I clean my windows and frames, and sunroof frames, but they still creak when it is cold and the frame twists. I usually wipe them down with silicone grease, but it doesn't seem to last long.

I buy new car. :LOL:
Selective hearing? if they are loose from cold shrinkage grease isnt going to fix that.

What kind of car? It probably varies by the window/door setup. My Explorers don't creak from the windows, but the bushings for the door latch strikers are always an issue with age.

What do you guys use on your seals to stop creaking in cold weather when going over an obstacle that twists the frame (pulling in/out of driveway)? I clean my windows and frames, and sunroof frames, but they still creak when it is cold and the frame twists. I usually wipe them down with silicone grease, but it doesn't seem to last long.

I am guessing that this is not the Corvette in your Sig?

If your description of the frame twisting is accurate then nothing is going to fix that.
I disagree...the silicone grease does work, but it only lasts a few months. I was just wondering if there was a better solution that might last longer.

I disagree...the silicone grease does work, but it only lasts a few months. I was just wondering if there was a better solution that might last longer.
Perhaps the silicone grease increases the seals' tendency to attract contaminants, making the rubbing audible again after some time. I have had good luck with gummi pflege on door frame seals which were noisy under chassis torsion and it's a watery liquid which might attract less dirt when dry. I haven't personally used silicone grease for comparison though.

Perhaps the silicone grease increases the seals' tendency to attract contaminants, making the rubbing audible again after some time. I have had good luck with gummi pflege on door frame seals which were noisy under chassis torsion and it's a watery liquid which might attract less dirt when dry. I haven't personally used silicone grease for comparison though.

Oh cool...never heard of that. I had to google it.

Also made me think...would a dust rejecting spray like Pledge dusting spray work?

Reactions: wlk
Oh cool...never heard of that. I had to google it.

Also made me think...would a dust rejecting spray like Pledge dusting spray work?
I've never heard of a dust rejecting spray before, actually. Sounds like it works by reducing static charge buildup on surfaces? If that's the case I don't think it would be as effective on seals as they are contaminated mostly by direct contact with the door rather than static charge. Not sure about the exact mechanism.

In general, I don't usually try products in unintended applications where it can't be easily undone. Weatherstripping is rather expensive to replace as well. I think a product like gummi pflege or perhaps 303 aerospace protectant would be your best bet...though on a sunroof I imagine you'd have to give the seals a periodic clean regardless of the product you were using.

Back