Still Made in USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Burt
Let me get this straight. Like Lt. Columbo, I am easily confused. If jobs are lost to due technological advances with non-living machines, like electricity, computers, automated robots, lasers etc that's quite ok. And if some company moves from a high wage location to lower wage area in the same country, that's sort of ok. But if jobs are lost due to people taking lower wages, particularly in formerly communist countries, that's bad. Those commies should know that everyone should be paid the same wage.

But wait a minute, I thought the commies were the ones that thought everyone should be paid the same regardless of circumstance! Yet now the capitalists are saying that. So confusing. And who gets to decide minimum wages in each country? Everytime the US raises the minimum wage, I guess we expect all the other countries to follow suit?

First-world nations, like the name implies, have a higher standard of living. Therefore, it is more expensive to live in a first-world nation than in a place like China. On the flip-side of that, a person living in a first-world nation, on average, is going to make a lot more money than somebody living in third-world nation.

If an American company chooses to move to a state that is less expensive to operate in, they are still operating in America. Still paying American taxpayers and taxes, still giving those Americans, who live in America (the first-world nation in discussion here) jobs. Whether they make $2/hr less in Alabama than they do in California is irrelevant.

If an American company automates, they aren't going to lay off all their staff. Yes, overall staffing of low-tier jobs are reduced, but people can be re-trained and learn new jobs at the same company, and there are going to be Americans doing the work of installing the new machines, configuring the new machines and ideally, BUILDING the new machines for the automation process. There is a lot of automation in car assembly, yet we still have a huge percentage of autoworker jobs in this country. Automation does not mean total unemployment.

HOWEVER, when a company leaves its headquarters in America, but lays off all its labor and ships that work to a third-world nation, they are screwing their fellow Americans. There is no cost-savings realized by the end-user; these products don't go down in price when production is out-sourced. Jobs are displaced that can not be re-trained for within the company, since the entire SYSTEM is gone. A veritable employment vacuum is created and the only people who see any benefit from this are shareholders and the people running the company.

The Chinese laborers ARE likely all paid close to the same wage. Mind you, that wage over the course of a year is less than many first-world'ers earn in a week. Probably yourself included. Do you honestly think that because Apple makes billions at Foxconn city that the Chinese workers are making any more than they were beforehand? That they are BENEFITING from living in an industrial city? That coming out of the rice fields to work in a slave-labor factory was GOOD for them?

It is a fool's errand to think that creating an employment vacuum here is somehow benefiting the average worker in China who ends up with that job. Working 14hr days, 7 days a week leaves time for little else in one's life other than work. Poisoned by their work environment, things workers in first-world society are protected from. These are people used as tools in an industrial machine, a machine who's goal is to simply make money. And of course the Chinese government is sitting there, pulling the strings to make sure that it stays that way. Its population is huge and expendable. Do you think the same of your fellow Americans? Do you feel that they deserve unhealthy working environments, slave wages, living at their job, unable to go home to their family at night? Do you think that these would be ACCEPTABLE conditions in America?

You do your fellow Americans no favors thinking that somehow their loss of a means to live is resulting in some sort of Utopian society for the average Chinese worker.

I never said China society was utopian. I do think that the period between 1945 and 1975 was somewhat of an unsustainable anomally where most of the industrialized world was heavily destroyed by the war and gave the U.S. a huge advantage vis-a-vis the rest of the world. I don't think that that standard living during that period was a result of protectionism nor is it sustainable with protectionism. If we closed our country to trade our collective standard of living would be much, much lower.

The sad fact is I care very little whether my job is lost due to technological advances or outsourcing. Society found a better way to do things and I need to adapt.

I never said China society was utopian. I do think that the period between 1945 and 1975 was somewhat of an unsustainable anomally where most of the industrialized world was heavily destroyed by the war and gave the U.S. a huge advantage vis-a-vis the rest of the world. I don't think that that standard living during that period was a result of protectionism nor is it sustainable with protectionism. If we closed our country to trade our collective standard of living would be much, much lower.

Nobody is saying to close the country to trade (at least not those with a head on their shoulders)!

The subject is SPECIFICALLY trade with third-world nations that use currently manipulation and government as tools to keep labor prices obscenely low to lure production there, whilst using their citizens as nothing more than expendable grunts.

Trade with places like Germany, Russia, France, Australia, Canada.....etc is FAIR. They are first-world nations paying their people livable wages. People who go home at night to their families and have a similar standard of living to our own.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

+1 , well said

Nobody is saying to close the country to trade (at least not those with a head on their shoulders)!

The subject is SPECIFICALLY trade with third-world nations that use currently manipulation and government as tools to keep labor prices obscenely low to lure production there, whilst using their citizens as nothing more than expendable grunts.

Trade with places like Germany, Russia, France, Australia, Canada.....etc is FAIR. They are first-world nations paying their people livable wages. People who go home at night to their families and have a similar standard of living to our own.

Okay. Close trade with 2nd and 3rd world countries and see what happens. It won't be pretty.

Okay. Close trade with 2nd and 3rd world countries and see what happens. It won't be pretty.

I don't think closing trade with them is the answer. But something needs to be done to bridge the issues of:

1. Trade imbalance. We import far more from them than we export.

2. Currency devaluation/manipulation. It needs to be less financially appealing to source labor to places like China.

Big business has no conscience. So if they can reap record profits, charge the same and produce a product in China using slave labor.... They will. Remove the financial incentive and you will see the reduction or elimination of companies doing this.

When San Francisco can decide to out-source a BRIDGE to China, that should be a HUGE red flag that there is something seriously wrong with the system.

Back to the original topic.

That's kind of cool that you can disassemble ratchets to grease them. I will have to do that to mine.

Typically they get lubed pretty well when I drop them in a pan of...something. Like Oil, or ATF, however they don't have the same greased feeling they did when new.

BTW, my first "Big" set of tools that was given to me was Made in Taiwan. I still have the ratchet and it has held up as well as the Craftsman tools that I have inherited. Most of the Craftsman tools were made in the 60's and 70's and are from my Father and Grandfather.

Although I agree with American Manufacturing being...well... American.
I have to say that American businesses have done a good job expanding the Quality Control of their manufacturing facilities overseas.

BTW, my folks went to the local Chevy dealer to get an oil change on their 2011 Traverse. They bumped into the sales lady who they like working with.
The sales lady said that they are Selling about 10 Chevy products every month, and that they are selling around 200 Kia products every month.

We really have increased the Quality Control of the manufacturing facilities overseas.

My point of view is that it is the USA that innovates and figures out how to manufacture something.
We then box it up, ship it out, and make it for less elsewhere.
If one is not in the thinking/innovating field. Well... it will be good to have a flexible attitude and skills to compete in the flexible workforce.

I wish I could work for the same employer for 40 years. However I am on my 6th employer and working on my 3rd career field.
In order to survive one must stay flexible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back