SRT 8 - 6.1 Hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched but was unable to find any decent info or UOA's for this motor. I just purchased a 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT 8 with the 6.1 Hemi. 420 HP all wheel drive and currectly the fastest production suv on the planet- yes its faster then the Cayenne Turbo.

Factory fill is 0-40 M1. It will be driven hard so what do the pro's here think for oil?

No reason to switch from M1 0w40. Sure, there are other oils that will work just as well, but you won't gain anything by switching from M1 0w40. Use it & drive happy.
smile.gif

I currently have the exact same vehicle in an '07 Black
flavor. Absolute blast to drive. Had it 10 months now.
I am currently running Amsoil Euro 5W-40 in her, she
seems to like it. I have a UOA out to Terry for analysis.
Expect it next week. Have been considering the new
RLI 5W-40 but it depends on how the Amsoil UOA comes back.
Craig

Quote:

I currently have the exact same vehicle in an '07 Black
flavor. Absolute blast to drive. Had it 10 months now.
I am currently running Amsoil Euro 5W-40 in her, she
seems to like it. I have a UOA out to Terry for analysis.
Expect it next week. Have been considering the new
RLI 5W-40 but it depends on how the Amsoil UOA comes back.
Craig

Cool, I'll be on the lookout for it. How many miles are on your 8?

I've been interested in this vehicle and I'm wondering what your rear world MPG experience is. I know, it's the last thing I should be considering when getting this engine but I wanna know. Thanks in advance.

Quote:

I've been interested in this vehicle and I'm wondering what your rear world MPG experience is. I know, it's the last thing I should be considering when getting this engine but I wanna know. Thanks in advance.

Mine is 'spankin new so it should improve a bit... So far pure city- 12.3 with liberal use of the happy pedal, and 16 on the only highway trip I have taken in it. According to most on the SRT boards it should improve slightly- but I really could care less as it is so fun to drive. I have a company Exploder and still find reasons to drive it to work.

Hmm, I was getting 13.5 in the city until I put a
different CAI in her, now 12.5. Highway in the 16's.
I've never owned a vehicle that accellerates like this
one. That includes a '93 Typhoon, '93 vette, (for sale)
'85 Mustang GT, '90 SHO, '63 Vette. The SRT8 will kill
them all. Handles quite well too.(.9 on skidpad tests)
Only have 6k on her.
Craig

wow thats lousy.

There are faster vehicles and there are more efficient vehicles. Guess I can't see the benefit of hot-rodding in an SUV...

Thats just me. good luck with it, sounds like fun.

Definitely give Amsoil SSO a look. It seems like a really robust oil. Then again, M1 0w-40 is for certain a prertty decent oil, and given that youre not dealing with turbos or other such things, it likely is a very decent choice for this application.

JMH

Quote:

wow thats lousy.

There are faster vehicles and there are more efficient vehicles. Guess I can't see the benefit of hot-rodding in an SUV...

Thats just me. good luck with it, sounds like fun.

JMH

Remember- this is 4800 pounds, shaped like a brick, and all wheel drive. There are vehicles that are alot slower that do not get this good of mileage. I did not buy this for fuel economy.
fence.gif

I have RLI BioSyn 5w40 in my 07 300CSRT8 right now with 300 miles so far. The car has 1300 miles on it with all in town driving.
I drive it pretty hard with 12.4 mpg constant.

I used a 50/50 mix of Amsoil 0w-30 & Redline 5w-40. Resultant viscosity @100c is approx. 12.4.

As I am quite familiar with both Jeep and SRT products, I would stick with the Mobil 1 0W-40 FACTORY FILL...and, I would change the oil within the first 1000 miles, then follow the routine schedule as outlined in the owner's manual, unless your UOA's (with each change)dictate otherwise. There is really NO NEED to experiment at this point. CONGRATS on choosing a FUN ride !!

Quote:

As I am quite familiar with both Jeep and SRT products, I would stick with the Mobil 1 0W-40 FACTORY FILL...and, I would change the oil within the first 1000 miles, then follow the routine schedule as outlined in the owner's manual, unless your UOA's (with each change)dictate otherwise. There is really NO NEED to experiment at this point. CONGRATS on choosing a FUN ride !!

IndyV10's - Thanks for the input. What is your experience with this engine. Any good tidbit's you can let me in on? I will probably tear into it after I get a few thousand miles on it as fast is never fast enough.
grin.gif

I have incredible results from Redline 5w-20 with this engine. I have 25k on mine, but it does have some mods. The new Diablo Predator works fantastic by the way.

I have over ten UOA's for this engine, Mobil 1 0w-40 seems to work only o.k. actually, not special at all.

Quote:

I have incredible results from Redline 5w-20 with this engine. I have 25k on mine, but it does have some mods. The new Diablo Predator works fantastic by the way.

I have over ten UOA's for this engine, Mobil 1 0w-40 seems to work only o.k. actually, not special at all.

Do you have any links to the UOA's? Apparently I cannot search for them. I wish they would come up with a better way to sort them on the UOA section.

Quote:

Quote:

Do you have any links to the UOA's? Apparently I cannot search for them. I wish they would come up with a better way to sort them on the UOA section.

I wish the search feature was better period.

Continue with M1 0W40 it is an excellent oil. I recomend it often to people that have applications that do not shear the snot out of the oil and those that do not want a thick heavy 40Wt.! If cost and availablity are issue's go with Rotella-T Synthetic RTS 5W40 you can pick it up cheap at Walmart in gallon sized containers and it too is an excellent oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back