Something between TORX T15 and T20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Door wasn't hung right on my trailer. Uses Torx self tapping screws but a T15 is too small and a T20 too big. The points line up but it doesn't work. What am I looking for? other than vice grips.

It appears to be a drilling and tapping screw (I might have used vice grips to remove one, but I'll never admit to that). I'll pick up a plus then and see if that works. Thanks!

Are you sure they have six points like torx, or 8 points? Usually what is used on trailers isn't really torx, is called "double square" and comes off with a square bit, probably a #2 if T20 is too big..

Originally Posted By: Dave9
Are you sure they have six points like torx, or 8 points? Usually what is used on trailers isn't really torx, is called "double square" and comes off with a square bit, probably a #2 if T20 is too big..
Americans use Robertsons? Well I'll be!

Originally Posted By: maxdustington

Not like we do, and they don't call them Robertson (patents expired about a century ago).

Definitely more common on her Volvo than anything I have. Ironically, my 1997 has them holding some dash trim on.. I think they look better than traditional screws.

They are very popular for medical implants here. Put them on a torx driver and they stay in place for the surgeon until they're drilled into bone.

whoever built my parent's deck 20-ish years ago used them exclusively...

Didn't count--shoved a torx in, points lined up, but 15 was too small and 20 too big.

Will pull one off and go to the hardware store later today.

I've got several boxes of trim screws and deck screws with that type of plain square drive...And along with driver bits for a drill/driver, I've actually got both a #1 and #2 Robertson drive screwdriver.

So, sure, we use them, we just don't call them Robertsons...though I have heard them called that. If you walked into Home Depot and asked for Robertson drive screws, they wouldn't know what you were talking about, but if you asked for square drive...

The screws on all my travel trailers were #2 square with what looks like a phillips drive also. The phillips part doesnt work well at all but the #2 square works great. Some of the bigger ones do look like a torx drive.

Well, it appeared to have points that lined up with torx, but, square--er, Robertson--drive works just fine. #2 like you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back