Snorkel hydraulic oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KWC

I have a Snorkel/Economy Wildcat 1200 Series Self-Propelled Work Platform (Scissors Lift). The operators manual states that "10W-40 Hydraulic Oil, 320 sus @100 deg. F., pour point of -35 deg. F." is to be used in this unit. When I tried to get some oil locally the countermen acted like I was crazy saying essentially, "Hydraulic oil doesn't come in multi-weights, only single weights. If you want multi-weight just use 10W-40 engine oil". I purchased the unit used and it only has ~80 total operating hours so I'm assuming the oil has never been changed. What would be the reccommended brand(s) and type(s) of oil to use in this equipment?

did the math and john deere hy-gard matches that spec on viscosity (iso 46/68) and pour point of -40.
jd hydraulic fluid is just about as close to the holy grail of hydraulic fluid as one can come, almost all others reference their specs

He was wrong.

Not saying it is easy to find, but Case requires a 10W-40 non-detergent hydraulic oil in its Sugar cane harvesters. It is know either as a multigrade 100, or 10W-40 hydraulic. Somewhere I have a presentation on it, and I carry this oil for those harvesters and a few others with well worn hydraulic cranes that spend a week or two in sub-zero projects and then a few weeks in the tropics, then back.

Originally Posted By: KWC
I have a Snorkel/Economy Wildcat 1200 Series Self-Propelled Work Platform (Scissors Lift). The operators manual states that "10W-40 Hydraulic Oil, 320 sus @100 deg. F., pour point of -35 deg. F." is to be used in this unit. When I tried to get some oil locally the countermen acted like I was crazy saying essentially, "Hydraulic oil doesn't come in multi-weights, only single weights. If you want multi-weight just use 10W-40 engine oil". I purchased the unit used and it only has ~80 total operating hours so I'm assuming the oil has never been changed. What would be the reccommended brand(s) and type(s) of oil to use in this equipment?

320 sus @ 100`c is the saybolt viscosity, which when converted is a iso number 68, which is what john deere hygard operational spec is(iso 46-68) . we have a viscosity comparision chart on here, i don't know how to post a link

both hygard and hygard low vis are multi-viscosity fluids with a high viscosity index,and it meets the spec you provided, use with confidence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back