small honda generators- fuel filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a honda 2500 watt generator, its maybe 20 years old, not used much of course, does it have a fuel filter?
It has a fuel on/off valve under the tank, then the line runs past a "sediment cup dead leg which is a screw off piece about the size of your thumb then the rubber line goes to the carb.
does it have a screen in it anywhere?
or should I cut the rubberline and put in one of those small quarter shaped red briggs lawn mower type in line fuel filters, or just ignore any fuel filter.
I use stabil and change the fuel each year. its a hurricane time gnerator

Yes, there are filters for engines with and without fuel pumps. I get mine at Lowes and they are marked for filter with fuel pumps. Ed

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
are there small ones with media that work on engines without a fuel pump?
my gen is gravity feed from the tank

I just installed a fuel filter (with filter media) on my lawnmower that uses gravity to feed the carb. Take a look at the thread I made a few days ago. The filter I used was PartsMaster 73011 or Wix 33011. Make sure your fuel line is 1/4 inch ID. It most likely is.

Last edited:
The clear plastic filters work fine. Your local auto parts store or OPE dealer should carry 1/4" filters for carbuereted, gravity-fed applications. Be sure to pick up some extra hose clamps while you're there.

I have a Wix 33001 on my Briggs generator, works fine. It is pretty big, so it has plenty of media. Fram makes a smaller one that also has "paper" media, and I've seen even smaller ones with sintered metal filter elements.

If the unit is that old, consider replacing the fuel line. The black stuff is very cheap but a foot or two of Tygon (yellow) fuel line shouldn't be prohibitively expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back