Silicon and Ceramics

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
Silicone-based sealing compounds do leach silicon into the oil because of the oil's solvency. Not enough to worry about; it will show peaks on analysis at beginning but drop to almost zilch about 15,000 miles after application of compound. Of course, the most notable silicon compound is PDS, an additive used in lubricating oils to reduce foaming.

Ceramics generally means a composite matrix of non-metallic materials.

We think of household ceramics as made of clay and brittle, but heavy.

In fluid sealing and auto mechanics, ceramics generally denote a composite matrix of materials (that may include metals) that provide low friction with almost nil wear. High pressure rotating seals (as in jet engines) often have ceramic bearing plates and a composite runner.

When additive companies talk about ceramics, who knows what they mean unless they define their components.

Unsuspecting laymen often fall prey to highly technical terms such as Ceramic, Hyperlube, Molecular Blitzkreig! and blah blah, etc!

MoleKule,

Is it possible to construct an engine, specifically engine block & head, from ceramic materials? What is the range of density of a ceramic materials? How about transmission and drivetrain components? Can we improve durability and reduce weight by partial use of ceramic containing components?
How about physical and chemical properties of ceramic materials. Do they dissipate heat better (I'm asking this question with regard of new ceramic rotors used on supercars)? What is their hardness on average on HC scale? Are they more invironmentally safer to use and produce? How about price? I assume they are considerably more expensive than their metal counterparts.

Thank you,

Yes it can and has been done. Extremely expensive. Also extremely efficient. Doesn't even need oil.
There was actually a post here a while ago with a link to an article. Try a search, I'll try to find it. Sounds very cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back