Sienna - Michelin X-Ice Snow? SUV vs non-SUV

I was just made aware of instant $150 rebate available through Costco, ends tomorrow. So there's a decision to make.

The 2013 Sienna I take care of needs some new winter rubber. Previously used Hakka R2 SUV and R3 SUV. Driver was happy with both although the R3s didn't wear very long.

Costco has the non-SUV version shown for this size and doesn't seem to carry the SUV variant. As I click around retailers, some have it, some don't.

In casual observation I noticed some quite positive things about the SUV versions of the R2 and R3. Should I ignore the savings at this time and insist on getting the SUV X-Ice Snow somewhere? Anyone have any evidence that the non-SUV variant would do bad things on a Sienna (that's usually lightly loaded)?

Call them. Normally if you order and pay during the promotion all applies. Since they carry Michelin they should be able to order any of them.

Friend did that. They didn't have her size. She ordered and paid. 2 weeks later they got installed when they arrived.

Call them. Normally if you order and pay during the promotion all applies. Since they carry Michelin they should be able to order any of them.

Friend did that. They didn't have her size. She ordered and paid. 2 weeks later they got installed when they arrived.

This is a fantastic Idea. I did this and they can only accept orders like that in person. Unfortunately I cannot get to a Costco location until the day after the promo. Wish I thought this all through sooner :(

Update: I dug into the actual SKUs and whatnot, combined with research on Michelin and a few other tire sites. I am reasonably certain that the tires in question are actually the SUV version even though not called out as such on the Costco website (and there are tires for which they specifically list "SUV" in the item description if I remember correctly).

Now that the sale is over, do you want to use Michelin? Will you stick to Nokian? Or do you want to try something else? What is your tire size :unsure:

When there is both an SUV and non-SUV version available, the SUV version is probably better for taller and heavier vehicles like an SUV or minivan. Especially since the Sienna is known to destroy tires in no time.

Michelin will do much better on that tire eating machine.
Sienna is not that heavy for its size, but as any minivan, and than some, it eats tires.

@OVERKILL - please do post what you experience (either here or in my "musings" thread in which I believe you participated). Having just chosen X-Ice Snow for two vehicles in the family I am obviously interested.

Belisarius is a new user using their first post to contradict all of the other information out there from owners and testers known so far, so some more data points would be a lovely thing.

@OVERKILL - please do post what you experience (either here or in my "musings" thread in which I believe you participated). Having just chosen X-Ice Snow for two vehicles in the family I am obviously interested.

Belisarius is a new user using their first post to contradict all of the other information out there from owners and testers known so far, so some more data points would be a lovely thing.
Absolutely. I have a thread on mine when I purchased them, this is the 2nd winter, we've not had much in the way of snow yet, but presently, they feel the same as last year.

I've had several sets of the Xice tires, last two the Xi3. They always dry rotted after about 5 years. My only complaint. Could be they can't take summer tire temps as I used them year around. But they quit making them in my size anyway.

Got some snow today, tires performed just as I remembered from last year. Excellent handling, no slip on snow or slushy intersections.
IMG_5467.jpg

I also have the xice snow on my '22 forester. I like them..
the viking contact7 on the 20 elantra are great(oem tires were suck)

Is it bad if I wish I could test drive the R5 and ws-90 too ;)

I also have the xice snow on my '22 forester. I like them..
the viking contact7 on the 20 elantra are great(oem tires were suck)

Is it bad if I wish I could test drive the R5 and ws-90 too ;)
I think next tire on Atlas will be VC7. Last year I had to go DM-V2 as VC7 wasn’t available in 235/65R18.
But, I might eventually go R5 on one of the vehicles just to see whether they made it any better than that R2 junk.

Back