Show us your Diagnostic Equipment!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blue Point multimeter, Bought it used at a pawn shop 10 years ago for $75. I like it better than the auto ranging Fluke that I have.

0Fr5nMF.jpg

This is what I use to bench test 4L60E/4L80E/4T80E/4T65E/4T40E solenoids & internal harnesses. Still a "Work in Progress"
Working on a better way to connect the harness to the "Tester".
The tester came from Arlington Assembly Plant, Just a toggle switch & a 9 volt battery in a nice wooden box.

FGpKalS.jpg

Originally Posted By: Silk
Diagnostic gear is very expensive here, and mechanics don't normally have their own. When we got the first MaxiDas they were $4000, cheap...and I saw they were $800 in the US, just a weeks pay.

Big problems in the early days - they said this ''whatever'' covers ALL models of cars in New Zealand. No, they covered all models available in New Zealand and Australia, but we had boat loads of domestic Japanese imports coming in every week, there was no data on them, and no scan tool or diagnostic anything would talk to them. We were winging it. One of the reasons I got the Fluke and started to upskill myself. Launch were the first ones to get it - The agent got their reps over, first stop was a car yard, and then they realised their tool was no use in this country, and set about making it cover as much as we had as possible. Even Autel, who would tell us all the stuff it would do - ''you can do key codes on the latest Holden !'' Yeah but, we are not likely to get a brand new Holden in for a key code...but what about this 1996 Nissan Laurel, why can't your scanner talk to it. THAT is what we want. No, we never got that...because they didn't get it.

Kiwi mechanics, we have a reputaion of pulling rabbits out of hubcaps...because we are isolated, with no parts or factory backup. We more than make do, we make the unworkable workable.

That's pretty bad, Even the exchange rate of our currency's doesn't come close to explain that kind of gouging.

Nissan's are weird in the states as well, The early OBD-2 one's only gave generic emissions data.....You had to have the Nissan adaptor & the software to read all the data PID's. Not sure when they went to full OBD-2 protocol?

Originally Posted By: George7941
I will be purchasing a PicoScope in the near future for its long record memory.

I seriously considered a Pico before I purchased the Vantage Pro, It's the Laptop part that I don't like.
I have HP-Tuners which has a real nice scanner & data logger & ONLY use it when I have to....I tried really hard to get used to it.

Maxisys Elite:

Launch J-Box 2 (reboxed CarDaq Plus 2):

The Autel is my main go-to scanner. I occasionally use various OEM subscription based scan tool services thru the Launch J-Box, but the J-Box is mainly reserved for reprogramming.

You guys are intimidating us DIY'ers! My $87 DiagLink is about all my skill level can handle, LOL.

OBD_Code_Scanner-300x226-300x226.jpg

I've scared a few dealer techs what this $100 bundle of fun can do

Hot-sale-Autel-MaxiLink-ML619-OBDII-Code-Reader-for-ABS-SRS-System-Automotive-Scanner-Turns-off.jpg

The real "scanner" does SRS/ABS duty for a wide variety of vehicles

I've also got one of those knockoff Techstreams for my Toyota, and a NDS for my Villager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back