Shell Rotella-T Synthetic 5W40 specs are available

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
Apparently, the server for the tech specs was down, but here is what I find interesting:

The MSDS on the 5W40 shows the so-called synthetic as a Group II and Group III Base oil, while the SB 10W30 and 10W40 blends shows a blend of PAO and Group II oils.

The 5W40 is no more a synthetic than I can play guitar better than Stevie Ray Vaughn!

I am actually running it now guys. I am using the over-priced Mobil 1 filter adn im running this in a 02' Mazda Protege'5 2L motor. I drive the piss out of it, so I thought Id try it.

Interestingly enough, this is as close as one can to using Shell Helix Ultra. This is the oil that Ferrari uses in all new cars and is sold around the world-just not here. I guess were arent cool enough? Ive put 700miles (very hard miles) on the oil so far and was actually just considering changin it today over to SYntec 10W-30. But, if y'all want me to test it, Ill be happy to. Id like to do a oil analysis on it to see how well it does.

I also have used BP Visco Select (its made here in Atlanta and is a group II oil)5W-30 and liked it and I also have 4qts of BP's Visco Sport (Semi-Syn.) and will eventually try it aswell. If anyone has any history of using BP Visco let me know. Its just a shame that we dont get the BP Visco 5000 that Europe and the world gets! God! We sure do get shafted on oils dont we?! They really know that Americans will use and want to use only the cheapest oil they can buy-right? Sorry for the rant...

Troy,
I had these numbers written down and I found that on the MSDS a different set of numbers. Go to the Physical and Chemical Properties and they list the pour point at -27F and >397F flash point, but they don't say how much greater. 398F is greater to me.
This a GroupIII oil, not Full Synthetic as I like to think of synthetic. Look at the Schaeffer 7000 series 15W40, Pour point is better than the Shell.

Thanks for the info guys, unfortunately i seen this stuff on sale at Wallyworld, it was $12.83 for the gallon container, and $3.37 for the quart bottles. I just dumped 7qts in my BMW 325i, i will have an analysis done to see how it performs. I'll go 7500 before changing. thanks again guys.

Chris J.

Shell Helix Ultra the worst syn we have tried on a Timken machine. Pennzoil 10W30 SL dino eclipses it (just) and M1 OW40 embarrasses it by a huge margin. Not to mention Redline which we tested last week. I have used BP Visco 5000 5W40 syn in my Mazda turbo a while back (yes this test car has had more different oils in it than I've had hot dinners!) Not sure if it is a group III or whatever. Would be interested to know.

By chance, have you tested the Chevron Synthetic on the Timken machine?....Thanks..Wes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back